Nuvo Fusion 50 Lagoon - Not many on here!

OP
OP
DentistReefer413

DentistReefer413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope the tank is still doing well. Curious how far back for the front glass you have your mp10 placed? I'm also looking at upgrading my gooseneck and was wondering how much space you had between the wall and the tank?

Thanks
I've got my MP10 about 2" from the back and 2.5-3" from the surface of the water. At this height, I don't get a vortex of air and it's not a SUPER obnoxious amount of surface agitation. I'd like to go a tad lower though, for less surface agitation, as the KESSIL really shimmers (almost too much). I chose this far back because I don't like to see hardware in the tank and I was hoping for a gyre-type effect, which this does well enough.
IMG_3358.jpeg
IMG_3359.jpeg

As far as the distance of the back of the tank to the wall, about 4", but could probably go less. As you see from my photo, I have a canvas hanging above the tank and I needed the clearance for the Kessil bracket. I really like this bracket, but for this tank, it didn't extend far enough out. It went shy of halfway, so I bought the extender. I feel I get better coverage this way. To be honest, I love the Kessil, but the single point light source is the best (and worst) attribute! Great shimmer, but so much shadowing! When the lights are off, it's amazing how much of the live rock doesn't have any coralline growing in the 'valleys' or shadows...
IMG_3360.jpeg
IMG_3361.jpeg

OP
OP
DentistReefer413

DentistReefer413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhhh, what the heck I took some pics. Kids get home later, I won't be able to break away. The lights just came on a little while ago so everything is sleeping. Here are some of the new arrivals, excluding the gorgeous Gold Torch that basically "diarrhea'd in the hot tub":

Orange Monti:
527906-8ee717ac5d7273430b4dc33e86eef2c9.jpg

Scoly:
527907-dbb9da1fd33434c78514b5c6443d1e0e.jpg

Orange Plate. This thing looked great for about two weeks, then started to thin out and lose tissue. Strangely enough, today the tissue looks puffy like he's making a comeback. Maybe a 'last gasp' but in my experience, plates do strange things. I'll leave him in for a bit before yanking him. Sad though...
527908-66b230cdbbac2b0e67199b0445ed1d48.jpg

Random bright green zoas (wife's favorite).
527909-bb006d7cb49b9221f66694a5169104ed.jpg

Mushroom/ricordia rock (nothing special, I just think it's colorful and pretty).
527910-4ca42a959b5eb11d48e5593f30bc82bc.jpg

Frogspawn - I've had this little guy for a while, though since the Gold Torch fiasco, he hasn't fully opened up yet.
527911-beeaf9cf2fdafeaf045d2d6ce457de2f.jpg

And last but not least, a full-tank-shot. You can see the dead torch head on the right. Sucks, because this thing used to open up to the point where I got worried it would hit that birdsnest to the left. One day at a time. Lol
527915-1acf10cca6dbf82f8ef41edc10e14941.jpg

IMG_3362.jpeg

IMG_3366.jpeg

IMG_3368.jpeg

IMG_3369.jpeg

IMG_3370.jpeg

IMG_3371.jpeg

IMG_3375.jpeg

OP
OP
DentistReefer413

DentistReefer413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! Since the last post, everything has opened up fully and the tank is looking happy again!

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in Denham Springs. Kept fish for over 30 years and getting back in the reef aspect of the hobby. Like the dimensions of this tank, but really want a sump. Any thoughts on modifying it to incorporate a sump?

OP
OP
DentistReefer413

DentistReefer413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bpfor3, that’s a good question. I’m sure it CAN be done, but the best way to go about it is the question... you’d probably have decent luck searching something like “nuvo 40 sump” or something like that in the threads. The Nuvo 40 is much more popular and the sump section is very similar to this tank, just taller.
For the price of this tank though, you could probably build/buy something “reef ready.”
I agree though, I prefer the dimensions of this tank over the taller ones!

OP
OP
DentistReefer413

DentistReefer413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth to anyone, the Tunze 9004 skimmer is working beautifully in the 1st chamber of the back. Worked since day 1. Very minimal micro bubbles in the display, which I expected from a new skimmer, but has already gotten better.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth to anyone, the Tunze 9004 skimmer is working beautifully in the 1st chamber of the back. Worked since day 1. Very minimal micro bubbles in the display, which I expected from a new skimmer, but has already gotten better.

I'm in the process of stockpiling my equipment for this tank. I'm glad to see that you're having success with the 9004. I was on the fence about whether to go with the IM ghost skimmer since it fits perfectly or the 9004 which gets much better reviews but has to go in chamber 1. Do you have the standard or dc version?

OP
OP
DentistReefer413

DentistReefer413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of stockpiling my equipment for this tank. I'm glad to see that you're having success with the 9004. I was on the fence about whether to go with the IM ghost skimmer since it fits perfectly or the 9004 which gets much better reviews but has to go in chamber 1. Do you have the standard or dc version?
Honestly, I went with the Tunze because I've read nothing but good reviews on it. And it really does work perfectly. But I do miss having a filter sock in that first chamber... I've read many more recent reviews of the Ghost Skimmer and most people seem to be having a lot of good things to say once it's dialed in, too.
I went with the DC version, but in retrospect should have just gotten the standard one. There's a convenient button that turns the skimmer off for 10 minutes for maintenance or feeding, but I have the skimmer plugged in with my return pump. So if I turn my return pump off for feeding, the skimmer goes off too. Also, I leave the dial at 100% and set the skimmer's depth in the water to adjust the amount of skimmate. I supposed I could now turn the dial down for a dryer skimmate, but I haven't done that yet and probably won't... Hope that helps!

OP
OP
DentistReefer413

DentistReefer413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rock work is perfect for that tank. Definately fits the lagoon. Great work!
Thank you! I was shooting for a more front/back landscape than the traditional "rock wall." Looks great, but definitely a lack of hiding places for shy fish!

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I went with the Tunze because I've read nothing but good reviews on it. And it really does work perfectly. But I do miss having a filter sock in that first chamber... I've read many more recent reviews of the Ghost Skimmer and most people seem to be having a lot of good things to say once it's dialed in, too.
I went with the DC version, but in retrospect should have just gotten the standard one. There's a convenient button that turns the skimmer off for 10 minutes for maintenance or feeding, but I have the skimmer plugged in with my return pump. So if I turn my return pump off for feeding, the skimmer goes off too. Also, I leave the dial at 100% and set the skimmer's depth in the water to adjust the amount of skimmate. I supposed I could now turn the dial down for a dryer skimmate, but I haven't done that yet and probably won't... Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info, it does help. What do you miss about the filter sock? I was planning on replacing both of them with a floss holder and an in-tank media rack if I decide to go with the Ghost Skimmer. Just seems easier to replace some floss every couple of days than to deal with cleaning the filter socks. Most of the reviews of the Ghost skimmer I've read are on BRS or Marine Depot and most of them are pretty unflattering. Mind if I ask where you read some more positive reviews, I'd like to check them out. I really would prefer to put my skimmer in the 2nd chamber if possible.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the desktop version of the skimmer. I actually like it, no bubbles once broke in. Only downside I have is collection cup is on the small side.

image.jpg

Gator1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1934.JPG

I have the same tank. The ghost skimmer didn't work very well for me - I ended up going with the one shown above.

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80665E50-6666-4E84-B2A8-6ACD721CB99C.jpeg
EFC3D12B-0691-4007-94C8-FAEABA29B177.jpeg
298DA7B2-2E35-491B-AA67-7F63D1727225.jpeg
Just a couple of random shots... nothing new to see here... been staring at the same corals for weeks. The wife won’t let me buy anything new because we’re going to MACNA next Friday. She wants to get rare pieces there instead. I guess I can’t complain about that!!!
Real nice would like to see a ful tank pic

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1934.JPG

I have the same tank. The ghost skimmer didn't work very well for me - I ended up going with the one shown above.

I know that skimmer does a great job but it's not happening on my tank. The Wife Acceptance Factor of that one would be very low. I'm lucky she's ok with the light sticking up from the back of the tank. The skimmer has to be low profile in one of the rear chambers. I know the Tunze 9004 will be a good choice and will work well, I would just really like it if the ghost skimmer would do a good enough job and not be a micro bubble factory. Tough decisions.

OP
OP
DentistReefer413

DentistReefer413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, it does help. What do you miss about the filter sock? I was planning on replacing both of them with a floss holder and an in-tank media rack if I decide to go with the Ghost Skimmer. Just seems easier to replace some floss every couple of days than to deal with cleaning the filter socks. Most of the reviews of the Ghost skimmer I've read are on BRS or Marine Depot and most of them are pretty unflattering. Mind if I ask where you read some more positive reviews, I'd like to check them out. I really would prefer to put my skimmer in the 2nd chamber if possible.
I searched these forums and other ones - some people who owned them said they were working just fine, other people said they were trash. Mixed reviews... I doubt I would have regretted the purchase had I gone with the Ghost Skimmer.
I hate cleaning the filter socks, honestly. However, they do a GREAT job at helping keep the water crystal clear, especially after water changes when I blast everything with a turkey baster! I used 2 media baskets when I had a Nuvo 20 set up - the only problem I had was that they'd gunk up fast and the water would flow right over the top, skipping the media in the chambers underneath the filter floss. Still, easier to cut a bunch of appropriately-sized squares of filter floss and toss it every other day than cleaning those filter socks! I just haven't gotten around to buying them yet...

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tankshot.jpg

A 50 lagoon brother! Awesome tank! I'm in Baton Rouge and hope to be at MACNA too. Maybe we will run into each other. I'll look for the guy with the perfectly white teeth. lol. Here is my 50 lagoon.

What kind of light fixture? Very sleek

OP
OP
DentistReefer413

DentistReefer413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1934.JPG

I looked at this one briefly, but same as mentioned above - my tank is in my living room, so having any kind of tubing or excessive 'gadgetry' wasn't really an option. My wife approved the Tunze mainly because the cup is gray and you can't tell the skimmate is a nasty bubbly green!
Great suggestion though - I've read good things about certain HOB skimmers!

OP
OP
DentistReefer413

DentistReefer413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3476.jpeg

Full Tank Shot. Sorry, taken on a whim, so there's shadowing from the shimmer (didn't turn the pumps off) and slight blur... You can see just how little of the Tunze skimmer sticks out of the left compartment. I'm ok with that!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back