NWFK's UNS 60U Macro Algae / NPS mixture

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my previous 5 gallon tank broke (seams split and the bottom panel broke) I decided to finally pull the trigger and get a UNS 60U to replace it, carrying over the same theme from that tank of being a "Planted/Non-Photosynthetic mixture". I don't have much to start out with so this thread wi be consistently updated with the progress, currently on Day 6 as of making this, and I promise this thread won't disappoint :)

Equipment:
•UNS 60U (20 Gallons) (23.6x14.2x14.2)
•Frosted Background (not going so well right now , air keeps getting in and I don't know why)
•Aqueon OptiBright Plus+ (TEMPORARY, but its actually pretty bright so I might get one that fits the dimensions)
•Hygger Mini WaveMaker (1600 GPH) at 80% power
•Oase 100W Adjustable Heater set to 77°F
•UNS Mini Delta Surface Skimmer from time to time
•Cycled in 3 days with BioSpira and Dr.Tims Ammonia in a bottle
No other filtration since it would strip too many nutrients out of the water for the Macros.

Biological Filtration (aka the scape):
•20 Pounds of CaribSea's Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite Sand
•16 Pounds of Marco Dry Rock
•Scape put together with Two Little Fishies
AquaStik "Purple" (I would've gone with E-Marco 400 but I felt like it would've been a waste on something this small)

Dosing:
Brightwell Aquatic's ChaetoGro and NeoNitro (will add NeoPhos if I need it) ChaetoGro once a week and NeoNitro every other day.

Current Fish:
•None :(

Current Inverts:
•Christmas Tree Rock (Porites with the Bisma Worms)

Current Corals:
•Porites (I guess)
•Mystery NPS Seafan, I have no idea what it is, can't get an ID on it since I don't know the origin of it, I got it from a LiveAquaria variety pack. Super beautiful though, and super hardy. I've had it for a month but it's been a champ and is growing a new Branch

Current Macros:
•Purple Fachae (rare)

I wish I had more stuff to start the tank out with, but either A) Everything is out of stock B) Shipping is ridiculous (50-60USD) or C) Payment is down :(

Planned Stocking:
•Red Sea Fan, Blueberry Sea Fan, Painted Tunicate Colony, White Flame Scallop (Ive already had 1 Flame Scallop and was successful in keeping it), every Macro I can find, Trimma Caudomaculatum, Tryssogobius sp., Orange Leander Shrimp, Crinoid Squat Lobster, Pederson's Cleaner Shrimp, and anything else I think would be a good fit. (Welcome to suggestions :) )

LET THE THREAD BBEGIN!!

20210409_150820.jpg

FTS (Glare is hitting hard today)

20210409_150831.jpg
20210409_105744.jpg
20210408_160438.jpg

Christmas Tree Rock (There's more worms than it shows, but they have to be the most photogenic animal I've ever had lol)

20210409_141240.jpg

Mystery NPS Sea Fan, the missing parts came like that, the new branch that started growing in my care is the middle one

Purple Fachae, looks dark red right now but once it gets high light it turns a nice purple color
20210407_204723.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new additions so far, but I just wanted to show the mystery NPS Sea Fan tonight as since I was gone the whole day, the light was off and when I got home 20min ago and turned on the light, this is by far the most extension I've seen from it! And it wasn't even during a feeding either!
20210410_214317.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4/15

Moved the Hector's Goby over a couple days ago from my Frag Tank to help out with some of the hair algae that came along and to help with some uglies appearing on the sand. Happy to say that he's doing his job! Some of the hair algae that was on the Christmas Tree Rock is officially gone, I also moved over another Mystery NPS Sea Fan that I got in the same pack, this one also came In pretty rough shape and thought about throwing it out a while ago since it looked dead, but its adjusted well and this is the most amount of polyps I've seen from it. If it does well for the next week, I'll frag it and glue it to the rocks. After seeing some responses to another thread, I've decided to up the feedings of Phyto/OysterFeast to 2x a day instead of 1.
20210415_133641.jpg
20210413_173705.jpg

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
general rule for all NPS organisms is to feed small portions multiple times a day, hope you have bio-pellets or some other way of nutrient export you'll need to feed a lot to bring that thing back to health.

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new additions so far, but I just wanted to show the mystery NPS Sea Fan tonight as since I was gone the whole day, the light was off and when I got home 20min ago and turned on the light, this is by far the most extension I've seen from it! And it wasn't even during a feeding either!
20210410_214317.jpg
Definitely looks healthier

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back