Nyos 120 Assembly Issues

BPC10001

Aspiring Reef Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All - I just recieved a brand new Nyos 120 for the build i'm putting together.

I've been trying to assemble this and have run into a number of issues. I'll be calling EcoTech support tomorrow but figured i'd post to see if anyone had similar issues:

• Issue #1
    • The pad / screw holes where you mount the pump do not seem to line up...it's an incredibly tight fit, and it feels like i'm really straining the base in order to get the pump to seat properly. I've watched the assembly videos on Youtube, and the tech was able to screw the pump down by hand with no issues...I'm attaching two photos below (1 head on with the left set of screws aligned and then 1 of the right side which shows how far off the other holes are if the first set are lined up properly.
Skimmer 1.jpg
Skimmer 2.jpg

Like I said, I can really muscle it and get it to align but it's definitly putting strain on the base plate

• Issue #2
    • Because of where the pump is when screwed down, I can't get the skimmer body back over the top and into the channel around the base. The cord is in the way and is simply too tight for me pull through the cutout. Again, I believe the pad for the pump and the screw pilot holes are in the wrong place to begin with.
I've never owned a reef tank before, but I would consider myself fairly technical / capable with mechanical issues. There is no way this seems right to me. Any thoughts / anyone else with these problems?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try reversing the pump holders. I had this skimmer and the fit was perfect. Put the electric cord through the cutout at the bottom of the plate.

Last edited:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried screwing that end in first, then trying to get the other mount in?

OP
OP
B

BPC10001

Aspiring Reef Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried screwing that end in first, then trying to get the other mount in?
Yes - Tried this a number of different ways. Like I said, I CAN get it in (with force) but it just doesn't feel right mechanically. For the price of these things, I would expect it to fit like a glove the way you guys are describing it.

Even if I do "force it" to fit, I then run into the issue of it being mounted so close to the edge, I can't get the cord through the gap + the skimmer body on

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - Tried this a number of different ways. Like I said, I CAN get it in (with force) but it just doesn't feel right mechanically. For the price of these things, I would expect it to fit like a glove the way you guys are describing it.

Even if I do "force it" to fit, I then run into the issue of it being mounted so close to the edge, I can't get the cord through the gap + the skimmer body on
Where in NY are you?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldnt say i forced it too much but it wasnt the easiest thing to mount, you should just push down a bit on the pump and push in the mounting leg, i honestly havent taken it off the mount in a year at least so this is just me trying to recall. routing the wire through is always a pita though with pretty much all skimmers and im always afraid of breaking the wires when i do

OP
OP
B

BPC10001

Aspiring Reef Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright - called into customer support. I know this was a rather "simple" issue but I must say EcoTech support was fantastic & thorough. The support rep did confirm this is a tight fit. After some playing around, it appears we are in business! Thank you everyone for the replies - excited to get this thing running

Skimmer Body.jpg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright - called into customer support. I know this was a rather "simple" issue but I must say EcoTech support was fantastic & thorough. The support rep did confirm this is a tight fit. After some playing around, it appears we are in business! Thank you everyone for the replies - excited to get this thing running

Skimmer Body.jpg
Very nice! Glad you got in touch with Ecotech customer support. They are top notch!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back