Nyos Ion-B

  • Thread starter Thread starter bandando
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bandando

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 14, 2022
Messages
163
Reaction score
46
Location
Italy
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use the Nyos Ion-B Balling method?
It seems interesting, especially for trace element dosing.
I’m thinking of switching from ATI Essential Plus to this one.
 
Does anyone use the Nyos Ion-B Balling method?
It seems interesting, especially for trace element dosing.
I’m thinking of switching from ATI Essential Plus to this one.

Why it specifically?

Do you know if you are low in trace elements?

Do you know if NYOS has more than you are getting now?

There are loads of different ways to dose calcium and alk, each with various pros and cons.
 
What I like about Nyos is that trace elements can be added and dosed separately, allowing for increases or decreases as required.
Moreover, Nyos says that Ion-B is focused to maintain an ionic balance, which ATI doesn’t mention at all (I wrote out but never received a response).
This leads me to perform frequent water changes.
I have an “easy” management of my tank.
I have never done ICP tests because I don’t trust the results.
I manage the tank based on my own observation.
 
What I like about Nyos is that trace elements can be added and dosed separately, allowing for increases or decreases as required.
.

That concept, which is good, applies to a great many alk and calcium additive methods, such as various two and three part methods (ESV, TM Balling and DIY hybrid methods) and kalkwasser. One can add as much or as little trace elements as you want using a product like Tropic Marin A and K since none of those supplement trace elements.

That said, I have nothing against the NYOS version of this concept.
 
ATI Essentials covers the ionic balance, even though it’s not explicitly mentioned anywhere. They state that with their system, no water changes are necessary, and only occasional salinity corrections are needed. I know several tanks running on this system without water changes, and their ICP results are fine.

However, I assume that Solution 1 and 2 must be dosed in a balanced ratio. Although they mention that independent dosing is possible, I don’t think the ionic balance would still be maintained in that case. With the ATI system, it’s intended to dose trace elements individually based on ICP analysis. Nyos, on the other hand, simply mixed all traces into one formula for dosing trace elements.

Both systems probably have their pros and cons. However, if both are applied correctly, I don’t think there will be much visible difference in the tank.
 
ATI does not clarify ionic balance but recommends water changes and ICP tests.
I dose Essential Plus 1 and 2 in equal amounts (60+60 ml/day), and to maintain stable salinity, I have to remove 480 ml of saltwater every day.
This makes me very doubtful.
 
ATI does not clarify ionic balance but recommends water changes and ICP tests.
I dose Essential Plus 1 and 2 in equal amounts (60+60 ml/day), and to maintain stable salinity, I have to remove 480 ml of saltwater every day.
This makes me very doubtful.

I cannot comment on their lack of mentioning ion balance and whether it means anything, but I will note that the salinity rise will be even a bit more with an ion balanced two part than in one that does not try to ion balance. :)
 
but I will note that the salinity rise will be even a bit more with an ion balanced two part than in one that does not try to ion balance. :)
Really? It’s very interesting this point.
I don’t have skills for knowing these mechanisms.
 
ATI doesn’t recommend water changes. They advertise that no water changes are needed with their system—whether that makes sense is another question. The only thing you really have to do is adjust the salinity regularly. Check the manufacturer’s website, it’s mentioned pretty clearly there.

I assume that with the Nyos system, salinity also needs to be adjusted. Anything else wouldn’t make much sense to me.
 
to be honest, I don’t find again where ATI speaks about the water changes, like the ionic balance! Simply they don’t speak about that!
 
to be honest, I don’t find again where ATI speaks about the water changes, like the ionic balance! Simply they don’t speak about that!
I also found the ion balance in the FAQs on the ATI website, as well as the text about water changes.
"Balanced formula, actively counteracts a shift in ion balance."
"
Complete calcium balance and trace element supply
Better growth and more vibrant colors
No water changes required
Cost-effective maintenance
Easy dosing
"
 
Better growth and more vibrant colors
No water changes required
Cost-effective maintenance
Easy dosing
I don’t find it on web site ATI Aquaristik
 
ATI does not clarify ionic balance but recommends water changes and ICP tests.
I dose Essential Plus 1 and 2 in equal amounts (60+60 ml/day), and to maintain stable salinity, I have to remove 480 ml of saltwater every day.
This makes me very doubtful.

Essentials+ is ionically balanced.
Both Nyos and Essentials+ use inorganic salts and will therefore raise salinity equally.

Ionic balance does not mean salinity is not affected, it means ion ratios stay the same.
 
Now that this has been out for a while, I was wondering if anyone had more feedback.

I have a new-ish tank (well, the newest of my 5 current tanks) that has reached the point of needing supplemental dosing, and something to help with the pH (no All for Reef for this one). I was ready to go the old reliable route, with ESV B-Ionic with TM traces added in, but then I saw the Serious Reefs video on the Nyos Ion-B. It piqued my curiosity because of their slightly different approach to trace elements, and the fact that they also address magnesium and potassium... all while remaining "ion balanced" like B-Ionic, without adding a third part like TM Balling C.

Seems like it would be the more comprehensive ("complete"), true 2-part out there, but I'm curious what real world experiences people are having. I'm not married to the idea of only using 2 dosing heads, but I do like it. If it works well, anyway.
 
In the meantime, I have continued using ATI ESSENTIALS PLUS and, after about 16 months of use, I took my first ICP test. Although I have some doubts about the reliability of ICP tests in general, the result was excellent, with no ionic imbalance.
 
Ryan at Serious Reefs jsut did a video on the NYOS stuff and it looks like a good product

I'm looking at switching to it from the Red Sea amalgamation I've been using.

The cost of the Red Sea - even in the bulk 5L jugs - is quite high.
 
I'm looking at switching to it from the Red Sea amalgamation I've been using.

The cost of the Red Sea - even in the bulk 5L jugs - is quite high.

I ordered some and am switching the NYOS tank over to it from AFR. I like experimenting though
 
Has anyone found a calculator for the NYOS Ion? I'm going to switch from AFR but need to figure out my dosage. Currently dosing 39ml of AFR.

NYOS Concentration: 2000ml canister contains 20,000 dKH
BRS AFR: 1000ml Carbonate Hardness Concentration: 6,000 dKH
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new