NYOS Quantum Thread!

saltybadger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a blockage inside the nipple of the Venturi. Pull the pump apart and stick a tooth pick or sheet rock screw into the nipple where the air line attaches to it. Calcium has a tendency to build up in there preventing proper air flow. I need to clear mine probably twice a year or I get that grinding sound as well.

Ran it through a 100% vinegar bath which you'd think would clear any build up of anything. With no improvement.
Though what i did next was wrapped the barbs on the ceramic shaft with plumbers tape for a more snug fit in the motor block and reaction chamber... this seemed to improve it quite a bit - no rattling/grinding though it's still not dead silent which is still a pain! i'll take a look at the venturi nipple when i'm back under my tank - you never know.

Though if my impellet is shot (mainly the shaft and barbs) does anyone know where i can get a replacement impeller in Australia!?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran it through a 100% vinegar bath which you'd think would clear any build up of anything. With no improvement.
Though what i did next was wrapped the barbs on the ceramic shaft with plumbers tape for a more snug fit in the motor block and reaction chamber... this seemed to improve it quite a bit - no rattling/grinding though it's still not dead silent which is still a pain! i'll take a look at the venturi nipple when i'm back under my tank - you never know.

Though if my impellet is shot (mainly the shaft and barbs) does anyone know where i can get a replacement impeller in Australia!?

Vinegar alone wont break down a calcium deposit. I tried that too before finding the blockage. Im almost certain you’ll find this blocked.

Nathan80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks, I’m hoping someone can help. I’ve got a Nyos 120 - that’s been running great for a while so I bought a second hand 160 for another tank (I assumed it would be simple and just work lol!)

Its in the sump and set up and set up, but..... if the air adjustment screw is turned so that not a lot of air gets in its nice and silent, as soon as I start to open up the air flow though it sounds like an aircraft is getting ready to take off.

I’ve stripped the skimmer a couple of times - I‘ve had the Venturi off like people have suggested on this thread and cleaned it thoroughly (there was a bit of calcium but not a lot), I’ve blown through the air intake and checked that’s not blocked, I’ve checked the hybrid wheel under a magnifying glass to check that there isn’t a micro-fracture in the magnet (there isn’t an obvious fracture - I used to get that every so often on the impellers on external filters - I was clutching at straws at 1 o’clock this morning!)

Has anyone got any other suggestions as the air is turned right down at the minute and ideally I want to be able to turn it up? At the minute I’m borderline ordering a new Venturi and hybrid wheel to see if that fixes it....

Thanks

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently been having problems with my Nyos 120 after owning it for a year. It randomly started releasing tons of micro bubbles in the skimmer chamber and I see some micro bubbles escaping from the base of the skimmer.

How is everyone's bubble plate hooked up? Is it leveled, crooked a little, and also how far into the pump's output is the bubble plate sitting. Help would be appreciated because it ran fine until recent with this massive micro bubble production.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently been having problems with my Nyos 120 after owning it for a year. It randomly started releasing tons of micro bubbles in the skimmer chamber and I see some micro bubbles escaping from the base of the skimmer.

How is everyone's bubble plate hooked up? Is it leveled, crooked a little, and also how far into the pump's output is the bubble plate sitting. Help would be appreciated because it ran fine until recent with this massive micro bubble production.
Bubble plate is level,
F3494D40-B02C-4F1D-9C02-EA360912308D.jpeg

Hugo’s_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased the Nyos 160 and I am having issues with it priming (if that's what you call it). When I turn it on the pump spins up, but no bubbles are produced. The first few times this happened I thought maybe it was just due to it being new and not broken in, but I have had it running for 1 week now and every time I restart it I have to play with it for 5 - 10 minutes to get it to produce bubbles. I finally figured out tonight that if I pull it out of the water until the input nozzle sucks a bit of air that will kick start it into producing bubbles. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on what I can check? The skimmer is running in the recommended 8" of water and I don't see anything physically wrong with the skimmer. Once it gets going it seems to produce a good skimmate, but having to fiddle with it every time I start it up is annoying.
Did you ever find a solution ? I’m having the same issue .

kwall737

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else have a pretty pronounced gurgling sound coming from what appears to be the air line? Whenever i completely close the air adjustment screw its quiet, but as soon as i crack it open, the sound is back. And it’s loud enough to notice with my cabinet doors closed, and halfway across the room - it is easily louder than ANYTHING else on my tank. Skimmer is a little over a week old, and was hoping this was just a break in thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kwall737

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the sound I’m talking about

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

I cannot play the video. I have had the 160 sine it came out. They are super frustrating. They work great but super finicky. I have never had a noise issue though. Yours is new? is there another way to post the vid or a few pics?

kwall737

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

I cannot play the video. I have had the 160 sine it came out. They are super frustrating. They work great but super finicky. I have never had a noise issue though. Yours is new? is there another way to post the vid or a few pics?
Yeah it’s brand new, been running for about a week. Lemme see if i can post the vid again

Tanxalot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you are able to pull that tube up and out of the bottom outlet area which lets you get fingers into the outlet of the body for cleaning. I thought the upper part of the long tube was solid though. Ill have to give a closer look.
Any update on ability to clean the inside of this water control tube? I contacted ecotech and they sent me an unboxing vid that was zero help...

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 166 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.1%
Back