Nyos skimmer is ELECTRIFYING water!

An_Enemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I installed a new NYOS Quantum 120 protien skimmer in my tank. Everything seemed to be working fine, but when I touched the water today, I got an electric shock!

I live in the UK and used the EU-to-UK adapter included (see photo). I tried reversing the EU plug and it stopped releasing a current, but I'm unsure if the issue is fixed.

Is the skimmer OK now, or is it faulty? Can any reefers that understand electricity shed some light? I'm scared to move my fish to this tank now.

IMG_20191005_155421.jpg

OP
OP
An_Enemy

An_Enemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess the adapter is bad. Was that supplied by Nyos or bought 3rd party?

It came in the Nyos box, so I thought it would be OK. It didn't say anything about how to correctly attach it in the instructions though.

OP
OP
An_Enemy

An_Enemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot them an email via support. They would be able to tell you or replace the adapter. Its probably safe if you orient the adapter the way it doesnt produce a voltage leak but its worth the inquiry for sure.

Thanks, I'm sure they'd be able to say if that's the cause.

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That eu-uk adapter you're using does not have a ground in it.. in Kuwait we use the same outlets and i would recommend you get a grounded adapter or just connect the 2 pin directly into your outlet instead of using that adapter.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.8%
Back