Nyos skimmer is ELECTRIFYING water!

An_Enemy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2018
Messages
54
Reaction score
33
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I installed a new NYOS Quantum 120 protien skimmer in my tank. Everything seemed to be working fine, but when I touched the water today, I got an electric shock!

I live in the UK and used the EU-to-UK adapter included (see photo). I tried reversing the EU plug and it stopped releasing a current, but I'm unsure if the issue is fixed.

Is the skimmer OK now, or is it faulty? Can any reefers that understand electricity shed some light? I'm scared to move my fish to this tank now.

IMG_20191005_155421.jpg
 
I would guess the adapter is bad. Was that supplied by Nyos or bought 3rd party?

It came in the Nyos box, so I thought it would be OK. It didn't say anything about how to correctly attach it in the instructions though.
 
Shoot them an email via support. They would be able to tell you or replace the adapter. Its probably safe if you orient the adapter the way it doesnt produce a voltage leak but its worth the inquiry for sure.
 
Shoot them an email via support. They would be able to tell you or replace the adapter. Its probably safe if you orient the adapter the way it doesnt produce a voltage leak but its worth the inquiry for sure.

Thanks, I'm sure they'd be able to say if that's the cause.
 
That eu-uk adapter you're using does not have a ground in it.. in Kuwait we use the same outlets and i would recommend you get a grounded adapter or just connect the 2 pin directly into your outlet instead of using that adapter.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new