Nyos Skimmer lid vibration issue

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all

I'm sure this topic has been discussed already, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere.

Has anybody ever noticed how the Nyos skimmer (Quantum 120 in my case) lid produces an immense amount of vibration noise when it's on a certain position? Obviously plastic sitting on plastic without any sort of dampening would be loud under pump vibration, it surprises me how the manufacturer didn't do anything about it.

I would be okay with that if you could set the lid on a certain position and leave it, but the problem is that the vibration keeps moving the lid until it finds the noisiest spot. Then it sounds like you have rocks on a blender.

Ecotech support just recommended I move the lid every time, to me that is not a solution. Disappointed with the Ecotech support for Nyos actually.

I'm just curious if anybody had a clever solution to stop the noise permanently. I taped the heck out of it, still not perfect and a pain everytime I clean the skimmer. I'm thinking in a bead of silicone now...

Thanks for any input!

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about some soft silicone airline. Slice along its length to make it a u shape and push it onto the edge of the skimmer cup. Hopefully the soft version of airline would stop the lid rotating and deaden the vibration and noise.

Hope that helps.

Mick

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nyos 160 and it’s annoying too.
I do is place something heavy on the lid.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back