Nyos Skimmer

Peterski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having issues setting it up, it was working fine before I did a water changed and added more water to the tank.

Raised it up another inch as well
Image1486324137.454769.jpg

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decrease the amount of air the skimmer is taking in from the pump. When you say you added more water to the tank did you raise the level in the sump as well? Did you use Rodi water or tap water with declorinator?

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take off the cup and let it overflow for few hours and it should go back to normal. I don't have that skimmer but mine does that after a water change sometimes.

OP
OP
Peterski

Peterski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course rodi with salt. And I raised the Skimmer an inch to meet specific height requirement.

OP
OP
Peterski

Peterski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take off the cup and let it overflow for few hours and it should go back to normal. I don't have that skimmer but mine does that after a water change sometimes.

Ok. Just seems weird, regardless if I shut it tight with water flow and air tight. Vice Versa . I will wait and see what changes

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a brand new skimmer they usually have a break in period, let it do this for a day or 2 and it should be fine as long as the water level stays stable.

OP
OP
Peterski

Peterski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still the same problem, raised it all the way up and see the flow and still the same.

OP
OP
Peterski

Peterski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still the same problem. It's not brand new. I did a 20% water change two weeks ago.. noticing my corals not happy with no skimming . I paid a lot for that skimmer. Only think I did I believe that upset the Skimmer is that I clean the inside with my fingers to take out some crud. I didn't drop it . I have it raised right now to 2 inches in water and see if that will help. Need to get this baby back on track. PS no response back from nyos

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to clarify....just new water...no new additives or anything correct?

Have you cleaned the skimmer pump lately or ever? Just another idea if it has been awhile.

OP
OP
Peterski

Peterski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct. Nothing out of the ordinary besides wiping the inside of the skimmer

randyblktl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have that problem until I stopped wiping the inside of the skimmer cup clean, I just use a hose and spray it clean

lauderdalestunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open the large knob, it's reversed on how you would think it would operate but is marked (that's the discharge valve). Open the air valve all the way and it should lower the water level in the neck of the skimmer. I have the same type and from time to time after working on the tank the skimmer will go nuts. I will empty the cup 4 or 5 times and it will start acting normal again in time

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a wierd one. Mine overflowed for a couple of days when new and running wide open.

Per their documentation there are 2 adjustments for water level. You should turn the nob on top to all the way towards open. This is considered the "Micro" adjustment per their documentation. You can also turn that entire "water level control tube" to an open/closed position. This is considered the "Rough" adjustment. If you look down at the water output while twisting the whole tube you'll see the opening. I keep this wide open and my 120 sits in 8" of water.

Im guessing you somehow have that "Rough" adjustment closed off raising the water level too high. That is my Guess anyway. Good Luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peterski

Peterski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. Yeah I see the knobs one gray one that says open and close, and the other small black air one. When I use the water flow knob I don't see a difference opening and closing it.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. Yeah I see the knobs one gray one that says open and close, and the other small black air one. When I use the water flow knob I don't see a difference opening and closing it.
That's odd.....you should see a marked difference when opening and closing....maybe pull it out and make sure everything is together correctly ... maybe something came unscrewed or loose...

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the Venturi to make sure it's not clogged?

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back