Nyos Torq - good or bad...?

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like there are very differing opinions in the review sections - some websites user reviews are very positive - while other websites user reviews are very negative.

Anyone here use the Nyos Torq...?

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
horrible equipment . bottom of the body cannot come out from the base unit .

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally own one and it’s just...ok. The advantage is, you don’t have to deal with plumbing and it looks very “clean” in the tank. Those were why I picked it. Unfortunately both the bottom and top are only really held together with some type of rubber seal. I wish it was a twist. I have had a few times where I went to replace filter media only to have the bottom pop off and all of it go into my sump or into a bucket or sink where I was cleaning. I also find that the filter pad they use is too porous, I can’t run brs rox carbon without it flying into the tank, gfo has to be run at pretty low pump speed as well. I now put my carbon in a media bag and put that in the reactor to prevent it from grinding and spilling over into the tank. Also, one of the big advantages is being able to replace media quickly by having one chamber always on hand so you just switch them out and go. You’re now talking about spending 100 for the body and 200 for 2 chambers. You’re at about 300 for a reactor to get the “full” benefit.

If clean look and not deal with plumbing is your priority, get it. If you don’t care about those things, I think you may be better served with a different reactor.

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the response I received from EcoTech (Nyos US distributor) -

We did see some lids coming off if it was not properly maintained, as the sponge would clog. They did put a hole through the sponge to prevent that from clogging and building pressure. They also made some changes with the o-ring I believe, however, that was early on. We also have been running many TORQs in our office since they came out and have not run into any issues as long as they are properly maintained.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back