OP
o00brandon00o

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon,
What is your thoughts with the Aquamaxx WS-1 skimmer?

Freddie

@GoVols

Hey Freddie,

Some thoughts, albeit anecdotal:
  • I really like the design and quality of materials
  • Pump inside makes for a nice small, square footprint
  • Very quiet except for a small trickle of water as it returns to the fuge (could be mitigated by a piece of foam)
  • No micro bubbles in the display
  • Easy to take the cup off the top to empty
  • Great job of skimming wet
  • Need a paper towel under the cup when you take it to the kitchen (j/k) sink to dump, waste water drips from collecting around the cup base
  • When return pump gets turned off, water level in fuge rises, causing level in skimmer to overflow as everything in the skimmer chamber rises too (maybe I keep the fuge level too high to begin with)
  • I'm either not patient enough to let it alone, break-in, and see how dry it can skim or it doesn't skim dry yet based on how much I feed
I want to give it the benefit of the doubt and blame my "always tinker/never leave it alone" when I say, I wish it would skim dryer. It seems like I can only pull waste (wet) if the cup is lower. Maybe I'm not patient enough keeping it high and letting the waste build up to foam. I really don't feed that much right now as I only have 2 clowns, a 3-stripe damsel and a cleaner shrimp.

When I check the cup weekly and its "empty" I think, 'oh must be too high.' So I lower it and 1-week later it's full but wet, so I lower it and 1-week later it's empty - and on the cycle goes.

This may be the conviction I need to set the cup and LEAVE IT ALONE, I just feel like it's too long to wait for it to build up enough to be dry.

I'll be more than happy to try and answer any specific questions you have.

20190531_085058.jpg

Last edited:

Richard Ivory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like that algae scrubber was it easy to make ,as its what i wanted but i would have to import a santa monica one which would cost me through customs in the uk

Back