OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my irregular Bellus. I brought this one home about 3-4 months ago. It has the irregular stripe. Waiting to see if it develops into a special cool fish or just an irregular angel. Am looking to find a couple more of similar size to grow out together. Not quite 2" long.
Bellus.jpg

Bangai_2.jpg

My Gold Midas, I inherited this from someone breaking their tank down last month.
Midas.jpg

One of the Flameback Angels
Flame.jpg

I'm worried something like the tang police is going to pop up to give me flack for the chubbiness of some of my fish.
Flame2.jpg

One of 2 of my adult Venustus
Venustus.jpg

And proof my Venustus are eating enough in my tank
Venustus2.jpg

Half of my pair of Black Percs
BlackPerc.jpg

One of my 2 male Dispar Anthias - I have 8 total Dispars
Dispar.jpg

My Big boy
Goldflake.jpg

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't neglect my school of yellows
Yellowtang.jpg

Cardinals
Cardinal.jpg

The male of my wrasse pair
Naoko Wrasse.jpg

Yes I have some Mollies in my system. This one went through the sump overflow, through the dart pump and ended up in the display tank. Happens to be missing a spot on its tail. It's been in the tank for probably 4-5 months and no body ever pays any attention to it.
Molly.jpg

Goldflake2.jpg

Achilles.jpg

Achilles2.jpg

I have 2 lubbocks wrasses - I think they are both male
Lubbocks.jpg

My larger midnight clown
Midnightclown.jpg

And my final shot for tonight... I was taking a photo of my Baby Venustus. The shot was photobombed by my Golden Angel. At the time of the crash last year I had a pair of Golden Angels. Since the crash in the last year 2x I have caught a glimpse of what I thought was a golden. But I was never 100% sure. Well when I looked at these photos I was so happy to spot my Golden lurking in the cave.
VenustusBaby3.jpg

AddictedtoSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave your tank and story is amazing and inspiring. I was at your place for the fragging demonstration several months back and thought your tank looked awesome than. It's even better now.
Absolutely incredible and one of my favorites.
I love your no quit attitude towards the hobby and your concern and care of sick animals. You truly are an inspiration to me and others in the hobby.
Keep up the good work.
I cant wait for the next meeting you host at your place.

Spewed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, you have endured some horrible times with your tank! Sure hope none of this happens to me along the way, because my sump is not outside. :p

Also, you must be loaded! If I was able to acquire as much as you have over the years I'd be set.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the best looking tanks I have seen! I could spend all day watching it.

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AddictedtoSalt - Glad you enjoyed the Frag demonstration. I host a couple of things a year for the club at my house. And if you ever are in the mood to visit, just shoot me a message, the Fiancee and I are used to having fish related guests over all the time.

Spewed - Loaded is so subjective :) I just have different priorities. I have no kids (only nieces & nephews) so the costs for the things I love is still much cheaper than having and raising offspring.

Shep - That's what the webcam is for. My Fiancee sits at work and watches the tank. And I check in on it all the time. So don't be shy, you're not the only one peeking in on the tank. During the week the camera has a couple of hundred visitors, and on the weekends that number goes over double. And the IP addresses are from all over the world, which is neat. I get IP addresses in Russia, the middle east, and Africa. I have gotten emails from different places in the middle east, and all over Europe - Which is very cool.

IsGon26 --- Thank you!

Dave B

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been contemplating this update for awhile and finally came across a deal.

My RO system is outside and I don't check on it that often. So I came across a Hanna Instruments TDS controller. It measures the TDS, and then you dial in the setpoint you want. When your TDS reaches the preset level the controller closes a contact - Perfect connection to a Break Out Box.

TdS_meter_1.jpg

TdS_meter_2.jpg

TdS_meter_3.jpg

The controller is on Amazon for $38, you can order the probe with a 4m cable (which is what I needed) for $74 - a standard cable probe HI7634 is about $40. A trip to Home Depot and I got a threaded T and 2 John Guest threaded connectors for about $8.

For my application this is a great and reasonably priced tool.

Dave B

AddictedtoSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a handy little thing for those that have theor ro/di system running regularly in to their tank for top off.

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the opportunity to be one of the first tanks to try the Triton Water Test back in July.

I was pretty surprised by my results. Since I don't do water changes, and I don't dose anything regularly (or accurately). My dosing consists of my Calcium RX and Kalkwasser for Topoff.

These are the results from July 25, 2014
o2manyfish - july 24 2014_Page_1.jpg

o2manyfish - july 24 2014_Page_2.jpg

I wasn't surprised by my Phosphate levels, but thought that was one of the things I could easily resolve. The first step was I pulled out my little Hanna Pocket Colorimeter the $50 toy, and was happy to see it was within 2 1/100ths of the Triton value. I pulled out my reliable Deltec 509 Fluidized Reactor and put in maybe 3 cups worth of media.

After a week the phosphate levels had dropped by half. In August and Sept I stayed on top of replacing the GFO every 3-4 weeks. However, for the past 6 weeks I have been dealing with an ill parent and I have left the tank untouched, other than the Alk issues from the Calc Rx. I haven't had time for any maintenance.

Last week I sent in another water sample to see how things were looking, and these are the second round results

o2manyfish - Nov 4 2014_Page_1.jpg

o2manyfish - Nov 4 2014_Page_2.jpg

Tonight when I get home, I will definitely be cleaning out the Deltec Rx and putting in a fresh batch of GFO and work on getting the Phosphates back down. At the moment, even with these high phosphate levels the corals in the tank look really good. The only coral that sticks out as not looking as good as it could is my Suharsanoi. It's color lightened dramatically when the Alk was bouncing all over the place, and it has darkened back up yet.

Dave B

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the camera out tonight to shoot some new additions to the tank. I had 2 good sized pieces of real estate when I lost the 2 colonies with the Alk bounce.
So I came across couple of tabling pieces. Neither is gorgeous at the moment, but I see potential in both pieces.

Acro_1 - November 12, 2014.jpg

Acro_2 - November 12, 2014.jpg

A Little one that I added a week earlier that was barely green with just a neat shape to the branches.
Acro_3 - November 12, 2014.jpg

On my center pillar I had a piece that I thought might be Indo Echniata that 65% died with the Alk. I found a similar sized piece to what I lost and replaced it.
Echin_1 - November 12, 2014.jpg

And a coral that I am always excited to see more growth, my Oregon tort. This was bought 1 year ago as a flat frag, just some encrusting on a flat plug, no vertical growths at all.

Oregon - November 12, 2014.jpg

So those that have read the thread for the past year might recall that when the tank crashed in the fall of 2013, that I discovered Baby Bangaii. And some of them survived in the rock sump out side and I moved some into the main tank in the past 6 months.

Well last night - was I surprised to see that the first pair of Bangais that we moved inside one is holding eggs. Not sure if the eggs are very fresh, or infertille, but they are very grey/milky looking. But I was overjoyed last night to realize that we have in a year gone full circle from babies being born to babies making babies.

Bang_1 - November 12, 2014.jpg

Bang_2 - November 12, 2014.jpg

Interesting while watching the tank for a few hours last night with some friends over, the 4 Bangai that we raised from babies, spent last night hanging out in a group together - With one holding eggs in his mouth. And last night while watching the tank we have 3 Bangai all holding eggs at the same time. They males are spread out across the tank, but it was clear that 3 are holding in their mouth. I know that none in the tank will make it. But hopefully the pair in the outside sump (where the babies came from) are holding as well and I will have some fresh babies from out there too.

Dave B

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some over all shots of the tank from last night.

Awhile back I saw some pretty damsels. They were light blue, and listed as Sky Blue Damsels. I hadn't seen these before so I bought 6 of them. They went into my tank and immediately turned black. Now a year later I have 6 black ugly damsels. I ordered the Aqua Medic Fish trap. Hung it in the tank over the weekend. Started putting food in the trap last night and in an hour caught 2 of the 6 ugly buggers.

FTS_2 - November 12, 2014.jpg

FTS_3 - November 12, 2014.jpg

FTS_End - November 12, 2014.jpg

FTS_End_2 - November 12, 2014.jpg

FTS_Left - November 12, 2014.jpg

FTS_mid1 - November 12, 2014.jpg

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FishDooD65,

Thank You!!! I am really happy with how the tank is doing. There are always things to fiddle with. But the problems I am dealing with at the moment, are Xenia growing too quickly, and a birdsnest which has gotten too big. My phosphates came back very high on my last Triton test, so I am going to work on that, but the tank is looking good, so I am not going to make too much effort lowing the phosphates.

Dave B

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Updated Photos from tonight

Full tank shot
Fts - February 10, 2015.jpg

I was remounting some frags that had fallen and a couple of new pieces that I picked up today. And while leaning over the tank my Janns pipefish goes cruising through the middle of the tank under my nose. I seem to only seem this guy about every 6 months - But such a joy when he pops up and goes cruising past. Sorry no photo of him...

This is a pink alveapora I picked up about a month ago. Color has deepend a little and it's filled out nicely
Alvepora Pink - February 10, 2015.jpg

My mispatterened Baby Bellus - Growing slower than I would like
Bellus - February 10, 2015.jpg

My recent fish additions
Borbs - February 10, 2015.jpg

One of my monti collections
Caps - February 10, 2015.jpg

My Grafted Cap slowly getting bigger
Graft Cap - February 10, 2015.jpg

My group of cardinals
Cardinals - February 10, 2015.jpg

The deepwater I picked up in November colored up nicely
Deep_1 - February 10, 2015.jpg

Island Full Shot
Island Left 2 - February 10, 2015.jpg

Montis on the Spire
Monti 1 - February 10, 2015.jpg

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oregon Tort getting bigger and bigger
Oregon - February 10, 2015.jpg

This is one of the new ORA releases - Purple Plasma
Purple Plasma - February 10, 2015.jpg

Monster Monti Cap
Red Monti 2 - February 10, 2015.jpg

Stags growing together
Stags - February 10, 2015.jpg

A table that I ignore and it keeps changing shape
Table_1 - February 10, 2015.jpg

Tort
Tort - February 10, 2015.jpg

My Valida -- Its just bright -purple with flourescent green polyps but I can't capture the colors with the camera.
Valida_1 - February 10, 2015.jpg

My little yellow Acro
Yellow_1 - February 10, 2015.jpg

Center of Tank
FTS Center 2 - February 10, 2015.jpg

Island
FTS Island 3 - February 10, 2015.jpg

Kind of a neat thing to witness. I have 2 lawnmower blennies in my tank for maybe 4 or 5 years now. They are large and fat. For years they keep several feet of tank between themselves or there is frantic chasing of each other. The other day I'm walking past the tank and the 2 blennies are sitting together in the surge tank outlet. One of them swims out of the pipe and sit on the rock work. Then the other one comes out and starts shimmying against the first one. Then they switch taking turns shimmying against each other. Then after about a minute of this they went to there seperate sides of the tank. Always cool things happening in the tank!

Dave B

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave,
Your tank looks fantastic! Love that Oregon Tort and the deepwater acro...

:beauty::hail::dribble:

Thanks so much for sharing the picture update of your gorgeous reef! :bigsmile:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back