o2manyfish - 750g Display Tank, 1500g System with Outdoor Frag Tanks

seancc317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO HAPPY to see this tank thriving! It's been through too much adversity! Also I REALLY wish I could do an outside frag tank! that concept is so awesome to me!! However, I live in Jersey... womp womp

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shot some video to update the tank. Everything is doing really well at the moment. My video skills are a little lacking, so the white balance on the camera is inconsistent.

[video=youtube_share;h0pkqaoThUs]http://youtu.be/h0pkqaoThUs[/video]

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update to the brown corals that went into the outside tanks last week. These photos were shot at night. I had a 24" T5 but it wasn't enough light for the camera. So this is shooting with the flash.

You can see the colors are looking good on the majority of corals. I am pretty confident that these corals are ready to move back under normal tank lighting and will be looking good with some blue light on them.

Frags 1 - August 22, 2014.jpg

Frags 2 - August 22, 2014.jpg

Frags 3 - August 22, 2014.jpg

Frags 4 - August 22, 2014.jpg

Dave B

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I have had great luck healing HLLE in purple tangs using sunlight and an all algae diet in the outside tanks.

I came across these guys who were not doing well. I'm hoping that by the time I get back from MACNA these guys will be well on there way back to being beautiful healthy little fish.

It's a little hard to tell from the top down photos, but the hole in the head above the eyes goes all the way across the head of the fish. In the third photo you can see the damage in between the eyes of the fish on the bottom left. And the missing tissue near the mouth of the fish in the top right.

All 4 fish are in similar states of unhappiness.

These guys were being tanked and fed Gracillaria, but just not healing. They were also being kept in cubes and yet their fins and tails were not looking so hot.

Chevron 1 - August 24, 2014.jpg

Chevron 2 - August 24, 2014.jpg

Chevron 3 - August 24, 2014.jpg

Chevron 4 - August 24, 2014.jpg

Dave B

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I have had great luck healing HLLE in purple tangs using sunlight and an all algae diet in the outside tanks.

I came across these guys who were not doing well. I'm hoping that by the time I get back from MACNA these guys will be well on there way back to being beautiful healthy little fish.

It's a little hard to tell from the top down photos, but the hole in the head above the eyes goes all the way across the head of the fish. In the third photo you can see the damage in between the eyes of the fish on the bottom left. And the missing tissue near the mouth of the fish in the top right.

All 4 fish are in similar states of unhappiness.

These guys were being tanked and fed Gracillaria, but just not healing. They were also being kept in cubes and yet their fins and tails were not looking so hot.

Chevron 1 - August 24, 2014.jpg

Chevron 2 - August 24, 2014.jpg

Chevron 3 - August 24, 2014.jpg

Chevron 4 - August 24, 2014.jpg

Dave B

My sons favorite fish! I hope they all make it and you can put them on your system.

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh,

Not sure if these heal up if I will add them to my Display tank. I had a group of 3 Chevrons years ago which were great fish. I have the one adult Chevron in the tank now, he survived the crash last fall and even though he isn't pretty he is very docile and doesn't try to bully anybody. I accidentally added a Juvie chevron about a year ago and he never once gave it a thought. But I think my tang population in the display tank is good at the moment. If the right size black came along I would consider it.

Once these guys are healed I will try to find them good homes. Maybe keep one for the frag tank. There are a pair of yellows in the outside tank which do an okay job on keeping the frags pretty algae free, but the sunlight grows so much having this team in there for the end of summer can't hurt.

Dave B

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been set on automatic the last month. I had some surgery which not me off my feet for a week. And then after that one of my parents has started a battle with the Big C. About 3 weeks ago my CO2 ran out on the Calc RX. I caught the empty tank within a day (thanks to my Apex) and got the tank refilled. But after I refilled the tank the needle valve took a crap. I would set the valve (at about 3-4 bubbles per second (very fast)) and then within an hour or so the bubble rate stopped.

I was tweaking the valve at night when I got home from work, and in the morning before going to work. But the Calc RX pH level (and therefore Alkalinity) was bouncing back and forth all day long.

With family matters of more importance I didn't have time to look for a replacement needle valve. I lost some colonies. I lost 2 deepwaters corals of very similar type, and 4 pieces of echinata. The echinata were not 100% loss.

I decided to take some updated coral growth picks. And to be fair I have included the good corals with the bad. Amazing how well some things are looking while others have faded or RTN'd

Unknown colony growing out into a beauty with yellow and purple and red
Acro 1B.jpg

Ice fire Echinata that RTN'd - Hopefully the tip will survive
Acro 3 -Ice fire.jpg

One of my favorite Aussie Colonies that kicked
Acro 4 - Echin Dead.jpg

Similar colony right above the previous colony that died - This was bright green
Acro 5 - Echin Dead.jpg

Little Tenuis Colony
Acro 6 Tenuis.jpg

A tabling colony that went from black to colored in the outdoor frag tank and was moved inside
Acro 7 Table.jpg

A Multicolor stag in the direct flow of the surge tank with some spectacular growth pattern
Acro 8 Stag.jpg

Sky blue stag - Good growth - mounted on it's side, but not alot of sprouting of additional branches
Acro 9 Stag.jpg

Supposed to be a Cali Tort Frag
Acro 10 Tort.jpg

Frag from ORA that has gotten some great purple color.
Acro 11 ORA.jpg

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little dash of purple
Acro 12.jpg

Red Planet that was doing awesome and then lost a couple of front branches with the Alk instability
Acro 12 Red Planet.jpg

I love the delicate branched stuffed - I think this was Bali
Acro 13.jpg

Another piece that was supposed to be Cali Tort
Acro 14 - Tort.jpg

My big Red Cap Colony - In the last 6 weeks this piece have given me over 35 1"+ frags that I have given away to local reefers. The colony goes out of the photo to the left another 8"+ the colony is over 1' across. The other acros below it are growing nicely. The millie should be red with some deep pink in it
Acro 15.jpg

Cool Bali Piece
Acro 16.jpg

New Hoeksmani - Only had for a week
Acro 17 Hoek.jpg

Red Dragon - Bought as a large frag from a fellow reefer who donated the money to help Chefzilla rebuild his reef tank. Had this piece for the past month and fortunately it didn't flinch with the alk issues.
Acro 18 Red Dragon.jpg

This purple tip stag sits in the back of the tank. It had much more contrasting colors a month ago. But it's a big piece - The size of a salad plate
Acro 19 Stag.jpg

This is one of my Bali Echinata colonies that the alk wiped out - It has blue polyps.
Acro 20 Echin Dead.jpg

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my purple rim caps - Sadly not as deep a purple rim as pieces I have had in the past.
Acro 21 Monti.jpg

This piece was given to me by Chefzilla over a year ago. It grows, it colors up, it dies back, it grows, it colors up more, then some of it dies off. I have tried it in multiple locations but it's just a little bit of a schizo coral
Acro 22 Brent.jpg

My Jedi Mind trick that the Fiancee bought at a coral auction
Acro 23 Jedi.jpg

My Suharsanoi that had been doing really well, for the summer but which is now bleached out.
Acro 24 Suhar.jpg

My little bit of Austera growing in nicely, with another tort frag growing in behind it.
Acro 25 Austera 1.jpg

My Oregon Tort that has grown from nothing. There are photos of this earlier in the thread. I bought this last year as a flat encrusted frag without a single branch. And it's starting to take shape. And the color is awesome.
Acro 26 Oregon.jpg

So this one breaks my heart. This is the coral that I showed off in this thread for having been bought as a nothing that developed beautiful blue polyps. Then to coral took on a sky blue color and started growing really nicely. Because of the Alk swinging big portions of this colony RTN'd. You can see the algae on the skeleton. I am hoping the remaining tissue pieces recover and grow back.
Acro 27 - Echin Dead.jpg

This is another frag that was supposed to be Cali Tort. This sits on the right end of the tank on the side of the island and gets almost not flow. But the growth has some randomness to it that I like
Acro 28 Tort.jpg

I've always like Alveapora - The flower pot that you can keep alive. This piece houses some clowns. And about 4 weeks ago it dropped a golf ball sized growth off it.
Alveapora.jpg

This is the ball it dropped - i mounted it on the back wall of the tank and it seems to be happy.
Alveapora 2.jpg

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up 3 different Eco-Gorgs a few weeks back. These are neat. I am definitely going to get more. In just a few weeks they have started encrusting over there plugs. I think they add a nice look to the tank. Eco-Gorg has about 12 different Gorgonians they are cultivating. Ask your local fish store or favorite online vendor for them... They are cool :)

Eco Gorg.jpg

Here are some shots of the tank. Photos taken on Friday Oct 10th - So this is after the Alk whackiness - Which still isn't fully resolved. I bought a new needle valve but it has 10/32 threaded ports on it and i have to find the adapters to 1/4" female pipe thread - If you have any ideas where to find these pieces please let me know....

This is the right end of the tank looking down the length
FTS End.jpg

Left edge of the tank
FTS L1.jpg

Left side

FTS Left 2.jpg

FTS Left 4.jpg

Middle of the tank

FTS Mid 1.jpg

FTS Mid 2.jpg

FTS Mid 2-2.jpg

FTS Mid3.jpg

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is so beautiful. Incredible diversity of livestock. Stunning in every aspect. You are practically down the street from me and today is the first time I've seen pictures of your tank. It's totally inspirational. Thank you for sharing.

Fish76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read thru your entire thread and have to say what a journey you and your tanks have gone through. Pretty cool to see the ups and downs, hope nothing but ups from here on out! Awesome pics, keep them coming!

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight Greg R and Chefzilla came by to feed the tank. Brent is developing a new fish and coral food, Chowdown, and they wanted to video my fish gorging on it. I pulled out the camera in hopes of catching a shot of my baby venustus coming out....

Shooting video in the tank (Will hopefully get this from Greg R to post)
ChowDown_Vid.jpg

Two of my most favorite things in the tank.
Fish_1.jpg

Difficult to get both Mandarins in the same shot. But check out the girth on them.
Mandarin_1.jpg

Mandarin_2.jpg

Dragon_1.jpg

My baby Venustus - In the tank about 3 weeks, just starting to show up. About 2"
Venustus_Baby1.jpg

My Mandarin and I think the female Red Scooter, Are the females larger than the males?
Mandarin_3.jpg

One of my 2 mega boys
Lawnmower.jpg

These guys are great little peaceful damsels - there are about 8-10 in the tank
SpringeriDamsel.jpg

One of my Bangai - I have 9 in the tank this is one of the babys that arrived last year when the tank crashed and survived.
Bangai 1.jpg

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 69 41.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.0%
Back