Obese Blenny or something else?

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lawnmower Blenny eats like a pig. His belly is huge. Is it just obesity or could he have another problem? I thought maybe constipation or a blockage, but he's been this way for weeks and just keeps on eating.
Spike.png

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a blockage, especially if you're feeding more fatty foods. If he's still moving around and eating I'd just adjust it's diet to see if that brings it down. What are you currently feeding?

OP
OP
seaplane

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed mostly LRS and Brine. I don't have algae other than film type so I add Veggie wafers every couple of days, he won't touch any Nori. He does take a little peas.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LRS kind of rules out fatty foods, it's very good food. I don't know the content in algae wafers so I can't comment there. One thing I've seen before with blennies and gobies is ingesting substrate. Does it dig around at all? That isn't very likely but I've had it happen before, for now I'd just say work with cutting food back just a bit.

OP
OP
seaplane

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does pick up the substrate and spit it out like he's trying to get my attention . Cutting back his food will be an interesting undertaking since he is so quick and greedy even takes food from other fish's mouth as well as my acans. Thanks for your input.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up one morning and my bicolour blenny had died with a huge belly like that one morning, fine the night and morning then came back from work and he had died.

I feed mostly frozen, scallops and clams and searching on the internet I came across other similar issues. the general consensus was either a blockage, too high protein diet or not enough greens...like yours my blenny was a pig and it would have been impossible to stop him eating the other foods.

Here's a photo of mine
IMG_5449.JPG

Last edited:

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High fat or protein diets can cause a blockage and lead to infection. Also a fatty liver. A necropsy should show a blob of white/infection, also if you check the liver it probably won't be its normal peachy color it will be a gross yellow color. Sorry for your loss @becks, wasn't your fault, some things can't be helped even if you're trying to adjust its diet.

Keep us posted on how yours is doing @seaplane

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has been like this for more than a few days-week, then I would rule out a blockage.

What is your feeding regimen? Smaller more frequent feedings are better than 1 or 2 big meals. Also, a fast day once or twice a week can help.

OP
OP
seaplane

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has been like this for more than a few days-week, then I would rule out a blockage.

What is your feeding regimen? Smaller more frequent feedings are better than 1 or 2 big meals. Also, a fast day once or twice a week can help.
I am feeding small amts 4x/day since I have 2 growing firefish in the tank. I'm probably worrying needlessly as the little fatso seems to be just fine and currently at the front glass begging to be fed. Sorry for the loss of your Bicolor @becks .

GOPMatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blenny and every lawnmower I've seen has a larger belly.... They have Like little hands on the bottom of the belly... Feelers etc. Plus if rather have it be chubby then starve which many lawnmowers will do... Try not to squirt the mysis or other food near him... Only the spirulina. I peel off chunks from my algae scrubber and kind of flick it near where he's at and he'll take a couple Chomp said it and spit it out but he does eat some or all rubber band it to a shell and I'll notice him pecking at it now and then when he flies in between the two sides of the tank he has a cave on each side of the tank and all you see this is him darting from one side to the other... But lawnmowers usually have a big tummy.. But I just noticed his back is big too... Maybe you should trap him and treat him for internal parasites.... Metro by hikari works you add powder to water. I had to buy 3 bottles for a comlete treatment. 29 gallon HT. Needed 30 grams a day.... Or use kanamycin

JVS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lawnmower'a belly was adnormally large when I found him dead in the tank one morning. I had him around 5 years and I never seen his belly so big.

calendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine's looked that way for over a year now, no ill effects. He's not fat... he's big boned..;Happy

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're really worried, I'd try exclusively peeled peas for a while. They're usually the prescribed "medication" for blockages.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many blennies will eat small pieces of gravel and sand which will extend their stomachs along with normal eating. They digest any algaes off the gravel, then poop out the remains.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We just got a Tailspot yesterday. I'm a little confused on his diet. Lfs said he eats mysis and pe. Reading about him, it says he eats algae. What does this little guy really eat? We were also told to feed every other day...please educate me @eatsbreakfast

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecsenius stigmatura are omnivorous. They will eat algae, but also most other foods provided. Variety in foods provides the most well-rounded nutrition.

OP
OP
seaplane

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to report that ole lard belly continues to do just fine. I have found something he won't eat. Unfortunately, it's any food soaked in Metro/Focus/Garlic Guard, lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back