Obese fish health

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had my Royal Gramma for 3 months, and it seems like he's very overweight. Is this a thing for fish? My concern is that this may shorten his life span. Visually, I also prefer a proportional sleek body shape like all the other normal Royal Grammas I see. I'm not sure what to do about it either, because if I don't put enough food in, my timid firefish won't even get a single piece before other fish gobbles it all up. I also have a low nutrient issue and not running a skimmer, so I can't really feed less.

If fish had a double-chin, this would be it. Pics/vids below are a comparison when I first introduced him, and now. Notice the head to body size ratio.

Screenshot_20230329_190420_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230329_191901_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230329_190621_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230329_192600_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
Makara23

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok then this guy may be normal size/fatness.

But my original question still stands. Hypothetically, is there such thing as an overweight fish, and if so would this impact their life expectancy or overall health?

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure there are overweight fish. But during regular feedings the fish should consume most of its food in a short time span. In the wild they hunt all day and feed almost constantly. So more frequent smaller feedings are closer to natural feeding cycles. Overfeeding is just a waste and adds uneaten food into the aquarium to rot. Not what you want to do for good fish health and water quality.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely ain't skinny, ha! He is pretty round but I'm not sure there is much you'll be able to do about it with your tank mate issue? I feed very heavy and my fish are thick but my flow is also pretty turbulent. They work all day.

I tried google/youtube to see what one looks like in the ocean but it's tough to find a decent quality video. I'd imagine they'd be skinner from fighting ocean currents.

Tagging along to see if anyone has the answer to your question. It'd be interesting to hear how they store their fat in regards to organs ect.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not certain the Gramma is fat at all. It can be a disfunction so it is carrying more and more water inside.
The Clownfish does not look fat at all but it seems like it has an internal parasite. If I had to guess maybe maybe in the liver.
Maybe @Jay Hemdal can tell You more

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish’s expression in the last pic says it all: “Who are you calling overweight punk?”

In seriousness, I think the Gramma looks fine, that clownfish looks… interesting…? Many of the fish at the LFS are juveniles or starved so they fill out a lot when properly fed. Also, from my experience, most fish will grow quite rapidly to about 80% their adult size within a year and then much slower after this.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is that the RG may be suffering from edema. The general thickening of all tissues is not how fish store fat. More typically, the fat is deposited in the belly and it displaces the vital organs - so the fish may never "look" fat.

Edema can be caused by kidney or liver disfunction. It causes fluid buildup in the tissues. It typically isn't treatable. Ascites is related, but it is characterized by loose fluid in the belly area.

Jay

Back