Obtaining isp address without direct usb connection....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question is, how can I obtain the isp address of my P4 without having the usb cable connection? Reason for this question is that tonight our neighborhood had power interruptions and I had to obtain the now changed isp address for the P4 in system ; communication, and then insert the isp in the settings to be able to connect wirelessly. If I am away and this happens how do I obtain the newly assigned isp without usb cabled connection?

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi -
The simplest way is through GCC as you outlined.
You can also check your DHCP server(router) for the client IPs.

To avoid your IP changing on router reset you have the option to
A. Set a static IP on the P4
B. Set a DHCP reservation on your router/AP to make sure the device retains its IP through power cycles.

If you’re away, I’m guessing you’re trying to update a port forward rule for remote access? If so, you’re already in the router and could check the DHCP server leases.

Also just to clarify; the P4 didn’t change IP because the P4 power cycled, but because your network gear power cycled. DHCP servers keep track of which leases were handed to whom, and when. However this does not survive a reboot of the DHCP server.

-marco

OP
OP
Swoody

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi -
The simplest way is through GCC as you outlined.
You can also check your DHCP server(router) for the client IPs.

To avoid your IP changing on router reset you have the option to
A. Set a static IP on the P4
B. Set a DHCP reservation on your router/AP to make sure the device retains its IP through power cycles.

If you’re away, I’m guessing you’re trying to update a port forward rule for remote access? If so, you’re already in the router and could check the DHCP server leases.

Also just to clarify; the P4 didn’t change IP because the P4 power cycled, but because your network gear power cycled. DHCP servers keep track of which leases were handed to whom, and when. However this does not survive a reboot of the DHCP server.

-marco

Thanks Marco. Seems like the best way is to set a static IP on the P4. Hopefully this is an easy task as I am not the savviest when it comes to this type of thing (as you may have gathered!!). can you give me a quick tutorial on how to set a static IP?
Thanks,
Scott

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scott -
I’ve got one better for you...

@Vinny@GHLUSA created a YouTube video tutorial.

Check out the GHL YouTube channel for different kinds of tutorials, and make sure to subscribe to be notified of new additions to the channel. :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%

Back