Wave Engine will restart / lose connection randomly

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping someone can help me out with this since I am not sure what is going on.

I have a waveEngine with 2 reef octo pulses and a VarioS4 pump attached. For the last 6 or so months it will randomly shut down the pumps and then immediately restarts. It can go weeks without doing it and go through periods where it does it daily/nightly.

I'm not sure if it's losing power or just connection, I don't think power since my lights are on the same powerbar and they stay on.

The wavEngine is in a separate cabinet so no salt creep, I have checked for stray voltage in the tank, checked the cables and plugs, nothing has changed in settings in over a year. I switched ISP and got a new router. The old router allowed for a 2ghz and 5ghz networks and the new one has both in one and no ability to separate them, but I had this same issue with the old router as well.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did it again this afternoon. The waveEngine doesn't lose power. I think it just drops the connection?

The led lights go red -> yellow -> blue as everything comes back on.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The software is likely crashing, causing a soft reset.

I would contact Coralvue for support, they probably have logs they can use to determine the reason.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The software is likely crashing, causing a soft reset.

I would contact Coralvue for support, they probably have logs they can use to determine the reason.
I think you are onto something there. I can see it rebooted at the same time the pumps went off. I will see what coralvue says.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had another brand of pump, that came with some used equipment, it did the same thing. I traced it to the three prong round connector. Gently cleaned it with a Jeweler’s File set, rinsed in Distilled Water, and let dry, for 24 hours. Stopped doing that, about eight to ten months later the impeller fell apart.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had another brand of pump, that came with some used equipment, it did the same thing. I traced it to the three prong round connector. Gently cleaned it with a Jeweler’s File set, rinsed in Distilled Water, and let dry, for 24 hours. Stopped doing that, about eight to ten months later the impeller fell apart.
Interesting. I will check the connectors tonight. I haven't unplugged anything recently, but maybe something has come apart slightly or something.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all I got back from CoralVue support was that the wave engine only reboots when wifi connection is lost.

Then when I told them I switched off my wifi and it didn't restart that the restart only happens if it's lost for 30mins. When I asked them how come it has rebooted in the middle of a water change when the app was open, used 10 ish minutes ago to turn on water change mode. I was told they are still verifying if that happened...

That was one Monday... I don't think I am going to get much help from them.

I did check the connections and all seemed to be fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 104 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back