OP
OP
occ_motorcycles

occ_motorcycles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a question for you. In my little 7.5g coffee table tank. I have a single eye of sexy corals pink *******. Nothing special just one eye. My clown goby passed away Thursday and I do not have a fish or crabs in it now. Jus coral. Well the pink ******* is receding and looking like crap. Any main reason why he would look bad? (All water tests look good)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a question for you. In my little 7.5g coffee table tank. I have a single eye of sexy corals pink *******. Nothing special just one eye. My clown goby passed away Thursday and I do not have a fish or crabs in it now. Jus coral. Well the pink ******* is receding and looking like crap. Any main reason why he would look bad? (All water tests look good)
Did this happen suddenly or has it been looking that way for a while and when you say receding is it losing polyp tissue ... do you have a picture ? If all parameters are fine it should not unless something else is going on in the tank. Are you using GAC ..

Is it too close to another coral maybe ? Le me have some more details please.

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this happen suddenly or has it been looking that way for a while and when you say receding is it losing polyp tissue ... do you have a picture ? If all parameters are fine it should not unless something else is going on in the tank. Are you using GAC ..

Is it too close to another coral maybe ? Le me have some more details please.

Was just reading this and a question cMe to mind. I use GAC in a pretty decent amount with skimmer rated for 80 gallons on 27 gallons of water roughly. Now, I feed my chalice and others once a week (the night before a wc) and have no issues with receding. I have heard of GAC having I'll effects before, but what is your personal take on it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just reading this and a question cMe to mind. I use GAC in a pretty decent amount with skimmer rated for 80 gallons on 27 gallons of water roughly. Now, I feed my chalice and others once a week (the night before a wc) and have no issues with receding. I have heard of GAC having I'll effects before, but what is your personal take on it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Using too much carbon and changing the water conditions too rapidly when a new batch is added can have negative effects on delicate corals. When I change mine I use about 1/3 of what I need, then wait a few days and add another 1/3 and then a few days later the last 1/3 ... and I change it about one a month.

Also carbon can have dissolved organics in it and the way to get those out is to dip your fresh carbon in boiling water and let it sit for 12 hours or so, then pour the water out and rinse it with RO/DI water and then you can use it and you will have noticed that after it has been in the boiling water for a while that the organics will start to be visible at the top. BTW use RO/DI water for the boiling one and for the rinsing one.

Now on the Chalice I would look to make sure there are not pests on it that are feeding on the coral's tissue as that may be the case, or it was wounded by a hermit, or Urchin or anything that crawled over it and the wound got infected and the tissue necrotized.

Hope this helps and sorry to read the chalice is not doing well

OP
OP
occ_motorcycles

occ_motorcycles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using too much carbon and changing the water conditions too rapidly when a new batch is added can have negative effects on delicate corals. When I change mine I use about 1/3 of what I need, then wait a few days and add another 1/3 and then a few days later the last 1/3 ... and I change it about one a month.

Also carbon can have dissolved organics in it and the way to get those out is to dip your fresh carbon in boiling water and let it sit for 12 hours or so, then pour the water out and rinse it with RO/DI water and then you can use it and you will have noticed that after it has been in the boiling water for a while that the organics will start to be visible at the top. BTW use RO/DI water for the boiling one and for the rinsing one.

Now on the Chalice I would look to make sure there are not pests on it that are feeding on the coral's tissue as that may be the case, or it was wounded by a hermit, or Urchin or anything that crawled over it and the wound got infected and the tissue necrotized.

Hope this helps and sorry to read the chalice is not doing well

Does help and see that's the puzzling thing. First. There are no crabs urchins snails or fish in te tank. So nothing to hurt the coral. Second is I have another larger piece off the same mother colony that is on the same rock next to it and its fine.

I think it may have just been to small to heal fully from thanksgiving when an urchin moved it while I was traveling.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does help and see that's the puzzling thing. First. There are no crabs urchins snails or fish in te tank. So nothing to hurt the coral. Second is I have another larger piece off the same mother colony that is on the same rock next to it and its fine.

I think it may have just been to small to heal fully from thanksgiving when an urchin moved it while I was traveling.

Yes that would more than likely be the explanation. If the urchin wounded it and the wound got infected and nothing arrested the infection (e.g. dipping) then that may have continued to spread and the necrosis continued. Sorry to read it and I hope it was not too expensive a chalice. What kind was it btw ?

If the tissue is too far gone it will unfortunately IME not regrow but if you want to give it a shot you would have to dip the coral and try to stop the infection ... does you see any strings coming off it (brown jelly disease) ? So not sure whether you can save it but if you post a close up pic maybe I can get a better idea of how far it is gone and whether there is a chance to save it. Sometimes fragging off the dead part works but in most cases it does not and it is not easy to do.

OP
OP
occ_motorcycles

occ_motorcycles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that would more than likely be the explanation. If the urchin wounded it and the wound got infected and nothing arrested the infection (e.g. dipping) then that may have continued to spread and the necrosis continued. Sorry to read it and I hope it was not too expensive a chalice. What kind was it btw ?

If the tissue is too far gone it will unfortunately IME not regrow but if you want to give it a shot you would have to dip the coral and try to stop the infection ... does you see any strings coming off it (brown jelly disease) ? So not sure whether you can save it but if you post a close up pic maybe I can get a better idea of how far it is gone and whether there is a chance to save it. Sometimes fragging off the dead part works but in most cases it does not and it is not easy to do.

Yes I lost him. He is Gone and its sad. But on a more positive note I wasn't deeply invested into it financially

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I lost him. He is Gone and its sad. But on a more positive note I wasn't deeply invested into it financially

Yes I kind of thought that is what was going to happen from what you described. good thing as you say that it did not cost you too much ... sorry about the loss.

Back