View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's your preference & why?
One better than the other?
Anything else You like more?
Is one more nutritious than the other?
I'm using the krill at the moment but fed mysis also. I add it to the fish food mix. mix some on the side for my corals etc. Thanks !

Moonfruit777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Question! I don't know which is better/healthier but I feed both. Alternating, one day I feed mysis + artemia and the next day it's krill +artemia. No food expert but it would be interesting to know the protein to mass ratio between krill and mysis :)

I feel some of the smaller fish have a hard time to take a bite out of a krill and are unable to eat whole krill + they seem to be eaten by the tangs before they can even try :/
Although some wrasses and my tiny yellow assessors eats whole krills! Incredible to be honest but they seem to really like them. Either way I think you can't go wrong feeding both :)

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how krill and mysis compare, but PE brand mysis has a higher protein content than most (all?) other mysis I looked at. I'm a fan of variety, so I keep PE Mysis, LRS Reef Frenzy, nori, NLS pellets, and Reef Roids in the cabinet...or freezer as required.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I checked back. my thinking was the ocean krill had nutrition from the sea. Just where the fish are. I did a "little" more reading & mcarroll was correct. The fatty acid stuff that the krill have are better suited for salt fish & corals than the mysis. My guess that the mysis could be fed these fatty's before harvest . Maybe that's what they do at PE .

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it, PE Mysis have a higher fat content vs other brands because of the lake they come from and the food they eat. I do know they are harvested in the the warmest 6 months of the year and are caught, and taken to their floating processing facility in the lake, processed into bags and cubes and flash frozen all within a couple of hours.

I feed both mysis, krill and plankton along with pellets and rotate during the week, however the PE mysis are by far my fishes favorite, put in krill and mysis they will ignore the krill until all the mysis are gone.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put in krill and mysis they will ignore the krill until all the mysis are gone.

It's like asking them to prefer liver vs fried chicken. Yes, one if obviously better for him, but tastebuds rule...fish can be spoiled/picky eaters just like us.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back