Ocean Live rock fans

Do you have ocean live rock in your tank?

• Yes, ocean live rock is essential for my reef tanks

Votes: 93 86.1%
  • No, I prefer bleach white colored rocks with a side of nuisance algae ( lol ;) lol)

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, I know this is off-topic, but: why are we upset about laws that say "hey, maybe let's not make more gas stoves that have now been shown to cause health problems in children"? It's not even "you can't have a gas stove", just "what if we didn't make new ones".
Yeah… really off topic.

Short answer is that the same harmful things found studying gas stoves was also found with electric stoves, which led me to a conclusion that it was more about the process of heating things up to high temperatures and that the people pushing that legislation were kinda cherry picking data/studies

Now! Back to live rock! Gonna have to get some, if I can do it, gonna go out to Tampa this satursay

lopez052308

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to make an assumption of his meaning but if it’s anything close to how I look at the world then I suppose he means that yes humans do change the world. We change the world in a way that usually just alters how we live in it. Yes, we cause extinctions etc. but as animals on this planet that is just as natural as if an asteroid impact cause an extinction. Whatever we do is natural. Our man made garbage is natural. If we were to disappear tomorrow, leaving all our cities and trash, the planet would go on as if we were just a tiny blip on the radar. Our trash will just become a source of food/habitat for whatever species may evolve to live in it. We are creating the perfect world for future life on this planet. Short of literally blowing earth up into nothing but interstellar dust nothing we do is destroying the planet.
Definitely controversial lol but I respect everyone’s opinions, like others have said let’s get this thread back on track lol.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah… really off topic.

Short answer is that the same harmful things found studying gas stoves was also found with electric stoves, which led me to a conclusion that it was more about the process of heating things up to high temperatures and that the people pushing that legislation were kinda cherry picking data/studies

Now! Back to live rock! Gonna have to get some, if I can do it, gonna go out to Tampa this satursay
If you are going to see TBS, I recoomend that you start an email dialog with them first. They will tailor an order to your specific needs and desires.

Fort Salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are the significant differences between Gulf rock and the Austrailian rock? I think I understand the Austrialian to be lighter weight, but that is offset by the cost.

I'm curious because I have been thinking about getting a little Gulf rock, but maybe I should save and consider Aussie? Thanks

FS

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to see TBS, I recoomend that you start an email dialog with them first. They will tailor an order to your specific needs and desires.
I need to reach out to them. Can’t afford anything close to a full package right now, but need more rock for my tank, I think the open space is freaking some of them out.

I sent an email to salty bottom reef co today asking if they can get a fish in stock or not, if they can I may go with them again.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are the significant differences between Gulf rock and the Austrailian rock? I think I understand the Austrialian to be lighter weight, but that is offset by the cost.

I'm curious because I have been thinking about getting a little Gulf rock, but maybe I should save and consider Aussie? Thanks

FS
Time in transit

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FS

I own both types. Aussie rock has way better shapes. Totally crazy and unique shapes. Gulf rock will have way more life on it but just shaped like normal rocks.

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Austrailian rock need to be cured and lack hitchhikers?

depends on who you get it from. I bought from Unique corals and it did not need to be cured and I did get some cool hitchhikers like some palys, some sort of encrusting coral, pistol shrimp, feather dusters, sponges, etc.

Gulf and keys rock will have a lot more life though.

Fort Salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info, thanks! I think I personally am looking to add more varied creatures to my tank, so maybe I'll still go for Gulf rock. I got my current rock from someone getting out of reef keeping, and some of my rock appears to be old coral. It definitely creates an interesting environment and visual interest!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back