Ocean Live rock fans

Do you have ocean live rock in your tank?

• Yes, ocean live rock is essential for my reef tanks

Votes: 93 86.1%
  • No, I prefer bleach white colored rocks with a side of nuisance algae ( lol ;) lol)

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to the party as usual! I have only used live rock in my 17-18 years of reefing, always will. Back in the mid 90’s when I started every piece of coral I bought came on a new piece of live rock. After lights out I could sit with a flashlight for an hour checking out all the cool hitchhikers, it fascinated me. I don’t recall if I ever had dinos, I didn’t have algae ID info back then. I haven’t had any in my 17 month tank , excuse me while I knock on some wood. I do appreciate the awesome rock scapes created with dry rock but the esthetics do not outweigh the biodiversity of live rock in my opinion.
Yep correct in the 90s you got your coral and it was on a chunk of live rock . Not theses days every tank I have set up gets live rock never done dry rock . So for me live rock all the way

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
happy johnny depp GIF
Try my site and service. I’m here to help ya get what ya need and enjoy the process.
I think Eric’s price for live rock is ridiculously astounding but it’s a reflection of the cost of airfreight and the wholesale costs to acquire the rock collected from the Australian coast in a sustainable fashion. Once Eric has the rock he is available by FaceTime to show you the rocks, let you pick them and then he puts the rocks in a box that he sends (at ridiculously low cost) overnight to your home. I suspect that he would do this all for free because he loves the hobby but he is also trying to run a business and he needs to cover all of the costs of doing business and make a bit of money in order to eat and play the bills and taxes and insurance so that he’s available for the next Reefer that wants the superior live rock that comes with the magic biome attached (including hitchhiking corals, crabs and algae) that kickstart a new reef system with amazing results. I hate paying these costs but the benefits to my reef and fish tanks are tangible and worth every penny.

We need to support guys like Eric who take the risks to support our hobby, imo or else we won’t have access to these products down the road.

Lots of people remember the old days and the good old live rock that has now been banned from the hobby because of environmental concerns and other political realities. If the market dies then we will have to poach the rock and critters to keep enjoying our reefs. That prospect by itself should encourage us to pay the price of legal aquisiton from the businesses that are now operating and taking the risks to provide the hobby with these products.
Most people have delicate consciences that don’t allow them to go on a poaching trip to collect live rock so we should all support the people who are doing legal collection now and hope that they can survive all the business challenges and keep the supply chain stable for the future.

The option’s right now are costly for us all but we need to exercise and support them while they are still available, imo.
potc GIF

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If folks want to run dry rock but still want the microfauna from the ocean, I feel like not enough people know about indo pacific sea farms. Their live sand activator and wondermud and bacterial sludge is great stuff. They also sell pods and a bunch of other stuff I never see anywhere esle like spaghetti worms. I highly recommend them if you’ve never tried.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Eric’s price for live rock is ridiculously astounding but it’s a reflection of the cost of airfreight and the wholesale costs to acquire the rock collected from the Australian coast in a sustainable fashion. Once Eric has the rock he is available by FaceTime to show you the rocks, let you pick them and then he puts the rocks in a box that he sends (at ridiculously low cost) overnight to your home. I suspect that he would do this all for free because he loves the hobby but he is also trying to run a business and he needs to cover all of the costs of doing business and make a bit of money in order to eat and play the bills and taxes and insurance so that he’s available for the next Reefer that wants the superior live rock that comes with the magic biome attached (including hitchhiking corals, crabs and algae) that kickstart a new reef system with amazing results. I hate paying these costs but the benefits to my reef and fish tanks are tangible and worth every penny.

We need to support guys like Eric who take the risks to support our hobby, imo or else we won’t have access to these products down the road.

Lots of people remember the old days and the good old live rock that has now been banned from the hobby because of environmental concerns and other political realities. If the market dies then we will have to poach the rock and critters to keep enjoying our reefs. That prospect by itself should encourage us to pay the price of legal aquisiton from the businesses that are now operating and taking the risks to provide the hobby with these products.
Most people have delicate consciences that don’t allow them to go on a poaching trip to collect live rock so we should all support the people who are doing legal collection now and hope that they can survive all the business challenges and keep the supply chain stable for the future.

The option’s right now are costly for us all but we need to exercise and support them while they are still available, imo.
potc GIF
Appreciate all that Kris! The live rock is expensive to air freight like we do with live fish and coral. If we were sending the rock on a month long journey via ocean freight, we lose all the natural benefits to save some money and defeat the purpose. I try my best to get fresh rock, get it into good water same day it arrives and then keep the water quality in top shape during the cycling process. Thanks for this light weight rock, the value is much better than the price indicates. Major bonus.
Hope to have more rock next week!

lopez052308

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruh leave the hobby then. Don’t get ecofacist on our hobby. I am extremely fatigued with the “grabby” political climate evolving in this country. People have turned from pew pew grabbers to EVERYTHING grabbers. Automobile grabbers, gas stove grabbers, you name it some clown wants to regulate it. Pretty soon we won’t have anything.

Hands off my live rock hippy
How about you read the rest of the thread

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about you read the rest of the thread
No I’m good. I stopped reading your posts after someone informed you that it was terrestrial rock that humans put there specifically for hobby purpose and then you responded back with well it’s still taking life from the ocean. With all that said I’ve been censored so I’ve said what I needed to say.

lopez052308

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I’m good. I stopped reading your posts after someone informed you that it was terrestrial rock that humans put there specifically for hobby purpose and then you responded back with well it’s still taking life from the ocean. With all that said I’ve been censored so I’ve said what I needed to say.
Ok, sorry I’m not trying to be argumentative in any type of way that post was more of a question than a statement sorry if It affended you any way. I respect your opinions and ideas. I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and ideas in this hobby and I enjoy learning new things, I was just saying that that is just a very tiny flaw in the live rock process. I am no way saying that live rock destroys the ocean or has a major impact on the environment.I fully support live rock uses. I am not ecofacist I am a hard core fisher man and spear fisher. Sorry for any confusion or miscommunication. I respect your knowledge and opinions. Not trying to be toxic in any way I don’t know everything and enjoy learning from others.

Last edited:

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, sorry I’m not trying to be argumentative in any type of way that post was more of a question than a statement sorry if It affended you any way. I respect your opinions and ideas. I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and ideas in this hobby and I enjoy learning new things, I was just saying that that is just a very tiny flaw in the live rock process. I am no way saying that live rock destroys the ocean or has a major impact on the environment.I fully support live rock uses. I am not ecofacist I am a hard core fisher man and spear fisher. Sorry for any confusion or miscommunication. I respect your knowledge and opinions. Not trying to be toxic in any way I don’t know everything and enjoy learning from others.
You just took a left hand turn without using your blinker...

As an environmental scientist, I can tell you that humans have very little impact on the earth. We mess up ourselves regularly, but the earth and it's oceans really don't care about us.

lopez052308

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just took a left hand turn without using your blinker...

As an environmental scientist, I can tell you that humans have very little impact on the earth. We mess up ourselves regularly, but the earth and its oceans really don't care about us.
Again not trying to be argumentative in any way just asking questions, so why our reefs bleaching around the world? You don’t thing that global warming plays a factor or any form of human interaction? Again just asking someone knowledgeable on the topic.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again not trying to be argumentative in any way just asking questions, so why our reefs bleaching around the world? You don’t thing that global warming plays a factor or any form of human interaction? Again just asking someone knowledgeable on the topic.
I appreciate that Lopez.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wait, I know this is off-topic, but: why are we upset about laws that say "hey, maybe let's not make more gas stoves that have now been shown to cause health problems in children"? It's not even "you can't have a gas stove", just "what if we didn't make new ones".

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, I know this is off-topic, but: why are we upset about laws that say "hey, maybe let's not make more gas stoves that have now been shown to cause health problems in children"? It's not even "you can't have a gas stove", just "what if we didn't make new ones".
I don't think you are familiar with legislation. It is not speculative or suggestive.

Fort Salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it doesn't cause health issues; completely false. Gas stoves are frankly preferred by many over electric. It's like being told we shouldnt make more gas vehicles to correct "climate change." Also a false assertion with significant impacts on people.

It's like a helicopter parent multiplied by 300 million or so.

FS

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hate to make an assumption of his meaning but if it’s anything close to how I look at the world then I suppose he means that yes humans do change the world. We change the world in a way that usually just alters how we live in it. Yes, we cause extinctions etc. but as animals on this planet that is just as natural as if an asteroid impact cause an extinction. Whatever we do is natural. Our man made garbage is natural. If we were to disappear tomorrow, leaving all our cities and trash, the planet would go on as if we were just a tiny blip on the radar. Our trash will just become a source of food/habitat for whatever species may evolve to live in it. We are creating the perfect world for future life on this planet. Short of literally blowing earth up into nothing but interstellar dust nothing we do is destroying the planet.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back