Ocean Live rock fans

Do you have ocean live rock in your tank?

• Yes, ocean live rock is essential for my reef tanks

Votes: 93 86.1%
  • No, I prefer bleach white colored rocks with a side of nuisance algae ( lol ;) lol)

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently built a new setup and for the first time used dry rock on it.

...Won't make that mistake again its been 6 months and the tank still feels 2 weeks old. My LFS just stopping selling the live stuff, I'll have to order it myself next time.

I even got that false sense of security putting LPS in because everything seemed stable and no blooms... nope the blooms just started way later and diatoms wiped all the euphyllia I bought.

dmb5245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started with ~80lbs of dry rock. Does it make sense to add 5lbs from TB to get the benefits or is that too small to make a difference?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started with ~80lbs of dry rock. Does it make sense to add 5lbs from TB to get the benefits or is that too small to make a difference?

I would add as much as you're wanting to spend money on or have space for. 5lbs would still have a lot on it and would seed the rest over time. It would absolutely be beneficial

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's only 5 among 80, I'd really think about the cost first imo...that's not a large proportion. It won't hurt anything though. It MIGHT be beneficial...I'd really think about the price in this case though even though I am a major live rock fan. The Microfauna is certainly not in perfect conditions for reproduction so i wouldnt expect it to make a huge difference.

dmb5245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it would be about $90 all-in for 5lbs of premium from TBS. I think my LFS store might carry some too. If I go that route, can it go in the sump instead of DT or does that defeat the purpose? I was thinking any baddies could get trapped out easier from the bare bottom sump instead of the DT with sand.

Thanks for the help. Salt is confusing.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's only 5 among 80, I'd really think about the cost first imo...that's not a large proportion. It won't hurt anything though. It MIGHT be beneficial...I'd really think about the price in this case though even though I am a major live rock fan. The Microfauna is certainly not in perfect conditions for reproduction so i wouldnt expect it to make a huge difference.
Is this because it’s competing with what’s already there for surface area?

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is on dry rock. Compete with what?
I was asking the question in response to what you wrote about 5 lbs not being able to reproduce due to him having 80lbs of rock already in the tank. I am curious because I am going to do something similar (add 20 live to 350 existing) and just trying to understand.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asking the question in response to what you wrote about 5 lbs not being able to repoduce due to him having 80lbs of rock already in the tank. I am curious because I am going to do something similar (add 20 live to 350 existing)
I did not say it couldn't reproduce. I certainly wouldn't count on a quick takeover by any means. For example, if you were to place a single human embryonic cells on a sterile petri dish the cells will definitely multiply (environmental conditions will determine the rate). I'd encourage you to research the rate at which bacteria reproduce as well as factors which influence this reproduction. It'll happen eventually. Most people would prefer not to wait until an unknown "eventually).

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not say it couldn't reproduce. I certainly wouldn't count on a quick takeover by any means. For example, if you were to place a single human embryonic cells on a sterile petri dish the cells will definitely multiply (environmental conditions will determine the rate). I'd encourage you to research the rate at which bacteria reproduce as well as factors which influence this reproduction. It'll happen eventually. Most people would prefer not to wait until an unknown "eventually).
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was asking the question in response to what you wrote about 5 lbs not being able to reproduce due to him having 80lbs of rock already in the tank. I am curious because I am going to do something similar (add 20 live to 350 existing) and just trying to understand.

I think adding any ocean rock is better than none. It’s not just about the bacteria. The ocean rock will bring in a multitude of critters from pods to sponges.

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used aquacultered rock to build a NSA scape? How did using the wet rock alter your design and what would you do differently if you did it again?

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason my tank is still running is due to some TBS liverock. It introduced an insane amount of biodiversity, like bacteria, crabs, pistol shrimp, rare coral (dinos killed them :p), a killer worm (who was killed), mantis shrimp, sponges, etc. I still have new things popping up two years later!
What kind of killer worm are we talking about?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used aquacultered rock to build a NSA scape? How did using the wet rock alter your design and what would you do differently if you did it again?
What is NSA (besides National Security)? :D

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still fuzzy on how it’s supposed to work… I just stack rocks and leave plenty of caves :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Here’s an example of one I will use as inspiration. All the ones I’ve seen though use dry rock due to I’m sure the ease of super glue, mortar, etc. but all three of my tanks have been aquacultered rock that I LOVE so I’m hoping to find someone that’s done an NSA scape with it and provide some direction on what products work best

Attachments

• IMG_4184.jpeg
    IMG_4184.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 22

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back