Ocean Motions

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone own one of these or seen one in action? I just bought a used OM squirt for what I think is a killer price. Time will tell. I did notice the motor looked a bit rusty but he said it works fine.

Was just wondering what everyone thought of these if they own or have seen one in action.

Eric

jimsflies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. Mine's been in service for four years. It started making a grinding sound but still works. Paul at OM indicated it was going to be $35 for a new motor.

I think with the controllable nano streams and vortechs available now days, the OM is probably less popular that it was a few years ago.

Here's a pic of my plumbing:
tank_plumbing_back_sm.jpg

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned one for years, they are great devices!
The nice thing is you don't have so much equipment inside your display like with powerheads. Mine is presently set up as a two way but I may change it to a 4 way and eliminate my last two Koralias.

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 way, i can't say i would use another one. I have talked to Paul a few times and he is always been helpful but it still more of a pain in the butt than anything.

Right now mine is off. I have to clean the drum often, it skips and right now it is vibrating some of my pipes. I have taking it out 2 twice this week to clean and reinstall with no luck for the pipes vibrating. Some times it goes for 2 months with no problems other times it needs cleaning 2 to 3 times a month. Lucking i installed it with unions all round it so taking it out is not a big deal. Just something i did not plan on having to maintain like this.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the suction side hooked up? Mine runs for over a year with no attention at all. I bought it used and did finally have to replace the drum after 4+ years of my use and who knows how long before that but it rarely requires cleaning and I have 330 lbs of Southdown sugar sand, the closed loop w/OM Squirt and two modded Koralia K4s in my system and no mechanical filtration of any sort. If any would need cleaning I would think it would be mine.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the suction for the closed loop the pipe that extends through the back wall from above? If so I would not think it would pick up much debris causing the drum of body to score. What do they say makes yours freeze up?

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the suction is the pipe that extends through the wall but it is in the middle of the tank. I should not pick up much stuff. When i clean it does not have much debrie in it at all. I don't have a good answer on why it skips. After i clean it, it works well for about a month.

The drum has scrape marks on it so at some point it had to have something in there. so i used 220 grit paper and sanded it down to smooth it out. Now the inside of the casing has grooves as well so i sanded that too. If you turn the unit upside down the drum will slip out so it is not getting stuck on the sides.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put a light coating of silicone grease on the top of the drum like Paul suggests? That made a difference on mine once I did so.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that just plain ol sucks! There are not a lot of options for devices like the Oceans Motions, certainly not the SCWD I replaced 4.5 years ago with the OM Squirt I have now.

Psychographic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently boght a 2way Squirt with a bad drum (bad magnet). The seller discounted the price of the drum when it apparent that it was bad.

As I wanted to eventually make it a 4way, I ordered the 4way drum and inquired about replacement magnets. Paul sent free magnets with the drum, which IMO is great customer service!

After repairing the 2way drum I replumbed the tank for it and it is working great. I think this is a very well designed product and would recommend it to anyone interested. I HATE seeing equipment in a tank and the OM's can eliminate any ugly powerheads.

jtma508

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 4-way setup on my closed-loop that alternates between my two upper, rear returns and two lower-front returns. It has worked silently and flawlessly for 16mos now. I really like it. So far, truly set-and-forget.

OP
OP
F

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty excited about it. Just need to figure out how to plumb it in now. As I originally drilled my tank with 3 returns instead of the normal 4 returns. It will be on a 72 bowfront with a calfo syle over flow. I have 2 returns on the top of the tank. One on each side of the calfo and then I have one return drilled half way down the back in the middle. Anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible to combine two of the returns into one?

Eric

Back