Oceanic 180 Bowfront Build

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I'd like to say hello to everyone!!!!
I've spent countless hours reading and learning over the past few months!!!

lucky for me a quick search and lots of reading has answered all my questions so far.

Ive been in the hobby since i was a kid with many breaks along the way last my last tank was a 110gal tall ALL GLASS tank and after 5 years of moving back and fourth i finally moved across the country so i sent it down the road. the plan before for the move was to relocate a few very large oscars and make the jump from freshwater to saltwater but plans change and ive been tankless every since.

AUG. of last yea the idea of buying a new tank was seeded as my life has dramatically changed since the last tank.

A seed was all it took and this time from the start i said if i do it again it will be saltwater!!

A 30 gallon half moon was purchase and the journey began obviously 30 gallons isnt enough enough ever but i was enough to prove i could do it and it wasnt as hard as i once thought it was!

everyone in the tank is happy but purchases of fish have dictated the future of what we need!

SAILFIN TANG , BLUE HIPPO TANG, CLOWN FISH, LUNAR WRASE

Cleaner shrimp, and a handful of crabs,hermits,and snails

Other things are a few zoas, duster, carpet anemone luckly he hasnt moved from the rock he was on in the lfs.

With every purchase the salesman informed me of the requirements to successfully keep these beautiful fish and i responded with a larger tank is in the works and it is....

SO HERE THE BUILD GOES!!

PURCHASED

Oceanic Bowfront 180 gallon with 2 box overflows on either side predrilled for 1 drain 1 return the return will be re plumbed and the internal will be used for an emergency line. With matching stand but this will not be used !

SUMPS
30 gallon aqueon tank - to be drilled to allow overflow into larger sump.... im thinking kind of pre sump where overflows either run thru socks or foam but something that is easy to clean. and have a few baffles to again to catch what it can before entering the larger sump. maybe some bio filtration compartments but simple in this sump.

75 gallon aqueon tank - this be split 3 ways still working on the design but will include LARGE Refuge approx 30 gallon which plans are to split the overflow feed from the 30 gal presump to dial it to about 30 - 40 gal per hour overflowing into the frag tank next to it from and skimmer on the far other side so basically skimmer on the left/ refuge on the right and a frag tank in the middle with flow from both sides and overflowing to the rear where the return for the sump will feed the tank.

Other Supplies

7 bags of aragonite 10lb need approx. 10-12 more
these have been purchased from petco for 4.89 a bag!

1 160w led light
1 70w led grow light for refuge
1 box of dryrock 40lb need 3 more

PLANS
-----------------

FLOW
Return from sump and overflow 1000 - 1200gph dc pump
reason.... sump flow works just as good high or low to an extent either the skimmer gets more time with the water or it sees it more often is this thought sound???

Closed loop system will be used on this build i want the display tank to be just that a display.

2-3 more 1000 - 1200 gph dc pumps hooked up to 2-3 closed loop systems

LEFT / RIGHT / CENTER Channels
3 to 5 heads on each CLS nozzles will be hidden behind rock work or inside of it or under sand.
reason for the different channels will be timers at first to alternate flows but reefpi will be in the future and it seems like i could get some real dynamic flow from this setup.

added benefit of keeping all dc pumps the same is the fact that if one goes down in the sump there is more to pull from til a replacement arrives or possibly keep a backup handy.....

FIRST STEPS.......

step 1
REINFORCE THE FLOOR.......
plans for this are 2x6 rectangle approx 6' by 4' with 2x6 12" on center butted up the the floor joist under the tank attach it and add treated 4x4s 4 on the front 4 on the back and concrete them 24" into the ground it seems like enough to me and a few construction guys i know but let me know what you think!!!

step 2
Build a stand that makes sense while also looking really good.. currently the ideal location is about 18 inches from the wall its infront of because of the design of the living room this also give me room behind the tank i actually can walk back there which is the one thing i always hated about the 110 gal i had it setup once as a peninsula and loved being able to work on was hands down the easiest that way.

this stand will be 40" tall i feel that for me this is a more optimal level for viewing and my 30 gallon is about the same height tank and same 40" stand so for me this is ideal yes i cant reach the bottom without a step stool but this also keeps my hands and arms out of the tank and ive become very good with the grabber tool stick thing.....lol

the reason for the tank location was really the layout of the living room doesnt allow a better location and it places it with 1 side setting on the steel Ibeam for the home and the wall to the right of the tank is only 6 inches wide which will be cover in black to match the stand maybe with a tablet displaying the tank status.... we will see about that but the 30 gallon is on the other side of the wall now and the tank will have to be up and running til after this one is ready to go this will be months from now so why not plan on keeping it there and making it look like it wraps around the wall i think its a cool idea look the pictures and see for yourself...which if it stays then yes it will also be hooked into the system.

HOOD
this will be built last since it is just for appearances but the hood will run up to the roof over both tanks to get that seamless the house was built around the tanks look.....

DRY ROCK

on the fence about the design of this either 3 deep pillars or 3 arch ways im leaning to the latter with caves under the pillar/ archways to give shelter to small inhabitants and keep rock to sand contact to a minimum and allow the flow to pass thru

one thing i hate about my 30 gallon is that it looks like rocks are just dropped in.

other things on this build will be a drain pipe across the house and outside under the stand just in case there is a failure and for water changes.

ro filter directly under the stand and tank for auto top off

MIXING station hasnt been thought out yet.....

ANY IDEAS FOR SKIMMERS? STUFF FOR SUMPS ? ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOME IM LEARNING AS I GO HERE!!!!

The goal is to get the tank up and running by april and run a 3 month cycle on it and start stocking it around july!!!

OP
OP
L0stmykeys

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190106_110447.jpg 20190106_110539_001.jpg

OP
OP
L0stmykeys

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the closed loop system. I haven’t seen that in forever!
I did research on it and seen only a few large tanks doing it most people drilled tons of holes to and added lots of failure points but done with a simple over the top pvc down next to the overflows in black i think it wouldnt even stand out on a black background. All that i read about using and closed loop lead to it being too complex to setup, compared to dropping in a wave pump and had to be thought out from the start which most people are adding to an up and running system which limits users that could even utilize it. Popularity would be the drop a pump in and plug it up to solve a problem not breakdown a system. Is there any draw backs to using it as a main flow generator in the tank? or just more complex and not favorable? Input is more than welcome on the topic i plan on trying to leak test within 2 month so theres plenty of time for debate on this.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great write up and pictures and thanks for sharing it with us

And welcome to R2R as well!

OP
OP
L0stmykeys

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update not much actual work done yet still lots of planning.

SUMP DESIGN 1.0

water in from right overflow to refuge area 28" x 19.5 x 18.5
from there coast to coast style over flow into SMALL frag tank 5" x 6" x 18.5"
Water will drain from a herbie overflow at the end of that tank into the return with a bubble trap which will avoid the skimmer compartment

water in the left overflow will enter into the skimmer chamber 9" x 20" x 10" tall and exit into the return area after a bubble trap along with both emergency drains

return area 13" x 5" x 9" This leaves a max area extra for emergency draining of the tank of 20 gallons +

This design leaves me room to add a ATS later which will be feed from the left overflow drain line and waterfall into the skimmer chamber.

any advice something i have overlooked in this design? this is over a week of reading and laying out things and I'm pretty happy with the flow of it.

wave pump can also be added into the sump area to increase flow.

SUMP DRAFT 1.0.jpg

OP
OP
L0stmykeys

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag holding area will be enough for only 2 plugs wide along about 14 inches long with its own light Current USA Orbit Marine IC 24" LED and an LED grow light for the fuge its a 12 x 12

This will be ran at night to help with PH swings.

Ideally the endgame would be to have a fuge and ats that supports the nutrient export to sustain the tank without having to run a skimmer but the effort to add a skimmer chamber later while up and running would be too much so its better to have and not need in this case or run it on the least about of time possible.

This 75 gallon sump will be the only sump after laying out actual usable space there is no place for the 30 gallon once planned for.

Space for maybe two 20 gallon tall tanks or three 10 gallons later.....Coral Grow outs, extra refuge for pods...live rock culturing ect.

OP
OP
L0stmykeys

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow progress lots of in the background stuff going on....

Lots of practice diy rocks still haven't decided on the final look of the aquascape but down to a few choices.

Stand is now framed out allowing for mocking up plumbing and fixtures under the tank...

Next big project is bracing the floor... here's a quick update and tomorrow ill post another with the tank on it...

OP
OP
L0stmykeys

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank in place....
Sump fits.....
Some minor closed loop plumbing done....

Progress being made!!

OP
OP
L0stmykeys

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sitting here thinking about the design of things and started thinking about the overflows and the poor placement of them....

Currently it was designed originally for the 1 down 1 return on the 2 back corners...

Which placement wise I lose about 6" by almost 10" of viewing area on the left overflow location...

The question is what about a single overflow on the right with one main siphon and 1 emergency pipe would that be sufficient or setup for failure?

Without the second overflow the view would be exponentially better....

The sump will be designed for a slower flow with a very large refuge..

Turning over the tank 5 times an hours at around 1000gph... flow in tank will be handled by 2-3 2k gph closed loop systems??

Anyone want to chime in on experiences?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sitting here thinking about the design of things and started thinking about the overflows and the poor placement of them....

Currently it was designed originally for the 1 down 1 return on the 2 back corners...

Which placement wise I lose about 6" by almost 10" of viewing area on the left overflow location...

The question is what about a single overflow on the right with one main siphon and 1 emergency pipe would that be sufficient or setup for failure?

Without the second overflow the view would be exponentially better....

The sump will be designed for a slower flow with a very large refuge..

Turning over the tank 5 times an hours at around 1000gph... flow in tank will be handled by 2-3 2k gph closed loop systems??

Anyone want to chime in on experiences?
I did a durso drain with my oceanic and I wouldn’t do it again. In the process of replumbing to 2 drains herbie style. Most tanks these days stay away from closed loop, but good job figuring that out and plumbing it. Hopefully it works good for you.

OP
OP
L0stmykeys

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the closed loop system centers around diy rocks that will be moulded over the nozzles to completely hide them from view.

OP
OP
L0stmykeys

L0stmykeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely be using a herbie style but do you think dual overflows will be needed or do you think one will be enough?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely be using a herbie style but do you think dual overflows will be needed or do you think one will be enough?
How big are the pipes? If they are only an inch like mine I would keep them both. If they are 1 1/2 it wouldn’t matter. Your biggest system flow bottle neck will be your single overflow if you switch it to just one. What kind of stuff do you want to keep in there? If your doing sps you want a lot more turnover than just a normal lps and softie tank. Either way this tank is going to be sweet. I love the closed loop systems how they look so natural.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back