OceanVue Pro Glass Sump

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to post this mostly as a public service anouncement but also to bring some clarity on what its like to deal with Planet Aquariums when an issue arises. And, also just to air a little of my frustration in getting a fair resolution.

There was no other reviews I could find on this thing, and honestly I was hoping to be the first to leave a positive review and share the love to make these glass sumps more popular. Unfortunately, I am less than thrilled with the whole experience and instead now wish I had gone a different route and just went with an acrylic sump.

I wanted to show how this sump was built so that others are aware and maybe think twice before purchasing one of these things.

Honestly, the build quality on this OceanVue is atrocious, at least for what Planet Aquariums standards should be. The whole tank is lopsided, it's out of square, and is 1/4" wider at the top on one end. It has a very large bubble in a corner seam, and the silicone is very messy throughout the tank as no tape was used to make clean lines. But the biggest issue, there is a 3/8" gap in between the glass mating surfaces in one corner that is filled with silicone. All issues pictured below.

I have been in touch with Planet Aquariums and the owner of Coral Vault who I purchased the tank through, and at first they tried to buy me off with an extended warranty and 15% partial refund. Neither of these things pay for my floor when the 3/8" silicone seam comes apart. I have been told "this tank is built within spec" and "this is meant for utility, and isn't going to be perfect."

I sent an email out pushing this issue further up the chain to the company owners, and I was able to actually get a hold of a human over at Planet. Planet is now willing to replace the sump, however they want me to pay for return shipping of the original sump that should have never been shipped out to me in the first place. Planet is worried about their bottom line, but at the same time, don't seem to care much about mine.

I would be interested to know the concensus amongst people who read this thread. And whether or not I am being overly dramatic, or if this is a fair concern that should not be accepted.

Thanks for reading.

IMG-5507.JPG image_123927839 (2).JPG image_123927839 (1) (1).JPG image_67176449 (1).JPG image_67212289 (1).JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davileet

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up on this as it has come to a final resolution this evening after dealing with this for over two weeks.

Today, Planet Aquariums backed out of sending a replacement tank to a store 1.5hrs away as they had originally agreed and instead refunded the cost of the tank to Coral-Vault, which in turn will return to me. Tyler, the owner at Coral-Vault did everything he could to help remedy the situation as a middleman and was very patient with me in doing so.

Planet Aquarium failed to make the situation right by just sending a correctly built replacement tank direct to me. I was also not willing to pay for return shipping on the first sump sent as it was just more money out of my pocket when a proper built one should have been sent the first time. In turn, Planet lost cost of material as the tank they built was garbage from the beginning.

Planet would not admit that the tank was built poorly when I stated so, and instead continued to insist it was within spec and perfectly safe. Jonathon, the sales manager at Planet stated since build quality wasn't the issue, replacement was only to make the customer happy, which they failed at as well. Needless to say, I will never advocate for Planet again, nor will I purchase anything built by them in the future. I know they are great when there isn't issues, but when there is, good luck.

Coral-Vault refunded the money and made things right as best they could. I am now back in the market to find a sump, which seems will be acrylic at the end of the day anyway.

OP
OP
Davileet

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral-Vault has not actually successfully refunded me for the tank with issues. Its been a month, and both refund attempts have bounced. I believe Coral-Vault is purposefully keeping his business account empty so that refund attempts bounce.

lo7100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you pay cash or credit card? you can just dispute the charge if using CC.
GL

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used credit card through Paypal. I won the dispute through PP a couple of days ago and finally recieved a refund that way.
What did you end up getting for a sump then. That was a heck of a process.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of options on them. I like trigger systems sumps. Not as flashy I don’t have a monster size tank above it to need too much

OP
OP
Davileet

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of options on them. I like trigger systems sumps. Not as flashy I don’t have a monster size tank above it to need too much
Yeah, for me going with a 60" sump to gain some water volume, there is only so many manufacturers to choose from.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine has the faint icecap one

Attachments

• FBE01DAF-FEF1-43C6-992F-13F1B410E055.jpeg
    FBE01DAF-FEF1-43C6-992F-13F1B410E055.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 30

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oof that's a rough experience. Coral vault not refunding right away after getting the money from Planet is pretty bad. having to file a paypal dispute would burn the bridge for me.

OP
OP
Davileet

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oof that's a rough experience. Coral vault not refunding right away after getting the money from Planet is pretty bad. having to file a paypal dispute would burn the bridge for me.
Agreed. Coral Vault did put the refund in right away which pends for 5-7 days with Paypal, its just that it bounced. After the first bounce I put in the dispute and Coral-Vault responded by sending another refund that bounced.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back