ocellaris and tomato clowns pairing up?

kyla bidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it may sound crazy, but I think its happening! I have had a female ocellaris clown and a female tomato clown for a while. There has been no aggression that I have seen (and I spend the majority of my day with my nose to my tank lol). I decided to add a second ocellaris in hopes of it pairing up with my female ocellaris. Its been almost 2 weeks and im starting to notice that my new ocellaris is acting like hes trying to pair up with the wrong female! he is going for the tomato! I thought I was just thinking too much into it. BUT then I saw the tomato female "kiss" the ocellaris male after some very light fighting. The kiss is what made me rethink this. It did look as though the male submitted. He did his little quivering thing. And after that they were by each other's side all the time. Even slept in the same area relatively close to each other. The next day, the tomato nipped at the male just a little bit. Did no damage and i dont even think she actually made contact. Right after that, she kissed him close to the mouth. That is supposed to be tomato clownfish pairing behavior isnt it? has anyone ever heard of such a pair? Is it even possible seeing as how they are different species all together? im freaking out a little bit, as I had no intention on this happening! I was just hoping that the 2 ocellaris would pair up! any experiences or references would be greatly appreciated!
As always, thanks for reading!

Justin parker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very rare for different breed of clown fish to pair up but you get some rare occasions that they do so. I have a black ocellaris and a DaVinci but previous to my black ocellaris I had a tomato clown and they got along perfectly even though they were different breed of clownfish. I guess it's just the luck of the draw I also have a fox face and a sailfin tang that act like they are partners

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not alone. I have a premium picasso and a black ice snowflake that have paired up in my tank also. Both of their mates have died so they paired up

OP
OP
K

kyla bidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow how funny! Ok so its not impossible! I actually think its kinda cool. Im glad im not the only one though lol. have yours ended up breeding or is pairing up as far as they have gone? I had intended on breeding woth the 2 ocellaris so it would be cool to breed ocellaris x tomato hybrids! Im not getting my hopes up because I realize that its extremely unlikely. But it would be pretty awesome! Anyone ever had 2 different species breed?! Or clowns or other fish?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back