Octo and Hammer Skeleton turning Orange?

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title states, woke up and while my lights were off I noticed the skeleton on my newer octospawn has a few orange spots on it, and my hammer beside it has a large portion of the lower skeleton that is orange. I guess I never noticed it because very soon after my lights kick on they puff up very nicely and you can't see any of the base.

I should not that the orange color is only on the dead portion of skeleton, none of it is on the new growth/living skeletal deposit.

Pics included.

20230830_095350.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As title states, woke up and while my lights were off I noticed the skeleton on my newer octospawn has a few orange spots on it, and my hammer beside it has a large portion of the lower skeleton that is orange. I guess I never noticed it because very soon after my lights kick on they puff up very nicely and you can't see any of the base.

I should not that the orange color is only on the dead portion of skeleton, none of it is on the new growth/living skeletal deposit.

Pics included.

20230830_095350.jpg
Agree its sponge and it will continue to creep upwards and reach the polyps in time. Can be carefully scraped off in a container of tank water with edge of a paring knife

OP
OP
A

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree its sponge and it will continue to creep upwards and reach the polyps in time. Can be carefully scraped off in a container of tank water with edge of a paring knife
Alright, I'll try to scrape it off later today. When I noticed it I picked at it with some frag tweezers and it didn't feel soft at all. It just felt like the surrounding skeleton, I assume that's typical of a sponge? Never dealt with one before.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I'll try to scrape it off later today. When I noticed it I picked at it with some frag tweezers and it didn't feel soft at all. It just felt like the surrounding skeleton, I assume that's typical of a sponge? Never dealt with one before.
It might be a bit of a pain growing near corals, but having sponge in your tank is actually a good thing.
Filter feeding organisms are good stuff.

I used to have a ton of it in my 90 gallon with a miracle mud refugium.
I think I'm going to do it again on my new system, only smaller.

OP
OP
A

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be a bit of a pain growing near corals, but having sponge in your tank is actually a good thing.
Filter feeding organisms are good stuff.

I used to have a ton of it in my 90 gallon with a miracle mud refugium.
I think I'm going to do it again on my new system, only smaller.
Yknow, I haven't scraped them off yet (I'm lazy during the week sometimes), but I was just wondering that. Would it be worth keeping one of them after I scrape it off (in another container, spores = yikes) and trying to stick it to a rock for a free spongey boi?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back