Octo Lids™

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I first started using rubber spline 7 years ago. then I got a lot of requests for clear screws. now it's trending back to the spline.

Spline is a real pain to route and keep it from coming out i like the screw idea if i did it myself that's the way i would go

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clear_plastic_mesh_canvas_sheets.jpg

How would light penetrate
thats why i thought it was making acrylic into a grid sort of like a transparent diffuser (stuff we use as cheap frag racks)
The only other stuff i can think of is plastic chicken wire the flat plastic netting but that's not transparent and wouldn't look good

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each has positives and negatives from a fabrication standpoint. spline looks cleaner but screws make it easier to replace the netting.

Spline is a real pain to route and keep it from coming out i like the screw idea if i did it myself that's the way i would go

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each has positives and negatives from a fabrication standpoint. spline looks cleaner but screws make it easier to replace the netting.

Do you charge the same for spline and screws
Also do you put a liquid glass after the spline so it doesn't come out on its own

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same price. I don't use liquid glass as that would make it more permanent. I use certain techniques to keep it in place. or so I hope! lol.

Do you charge the same for spline and screws
Also do you put a liquid glass after the spline so it doesn't come out on its own

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same price. I don't use liquid glass as that would make it more permanent. I use certain techniques to keep it in place. or so I hope! lol.

Look into the liquid glass its a trick that many home screen makers use its like silicone only it comes out as one piece doesn't break apart

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've played with it, but not for the lids as it hasn't been needed. but I guess the extra security wouldn't hurt.

Look into the liquid glass its a trick that many home screen makers use its like silicone only it comes out as one piece doesn't break apart

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I don't know how practical it would be. the stuff I've seen is expensive and not very clear.
Reason for it not being clear? Just curious. I'll prob end up ordering a screen, as I need one, but admittedly the variations in the grid of screens under tension don't seem to have that uniform look (which I can live with if necessary and is just aesthetic.) Was just curious if another product is out there that's more uniform.

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The type of plastic they're made from. some are advertised as clear, but it's more opaque.

To achieve the most uniform pattern I would use spline. as I previously mentioned, I've gone back to the spline. and I use grey not the ugly black stuff.

Reason for it not being clear? Just curious. I'll prob end up ordering a screen, as I need one, but admittedly the variations in the grid of screens under tension don't seem to have that uniform look (which I can live with if necessary and is just aesthetic.) Was just curious if another product is out there that's more uniform.

rhygar666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it possible to ship it o germany? i got 2 salt , 1 freshwater with sump i need cover for also i got 8*39 w ati t5 and an kessil ap 700 led. is that too much heat or fine?

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, no. and i have NEVER licensed my lid design to any other company.

is it possible to ship it o germany? i got 2 salt , 1 freshwater with sump i need cover for also i got 8*39 w ati t5 and an kessil ap 700 led. is that too much heat or fine?

OP
OP
cromag27

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
made a lid for this sweet drop tank.

ac_lid18.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ever do these for an 8 gallon biocube? I'd like one for water changes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back