Octo LUX T90

Gorila crab is still hiding in the rocks and appears to be getting bigger, spotted a dead snail/shell where he hides.

IMG_2885.jpeg

Test results for this week also sent an ICP to compare.
Alk (Hanna) 8.4
P04 (Hanna) .02
N03 (Hanna) 7.5
Mg (Salifert) 1500
Ca (Salifert) 500
Sg (Milwaukee)1.028

IMG_2890.jpeg

Plans:

Thinking about using the Dr Reef credit to reorder the Cherub, and instead of the Blue leopard to try and source a silver belly (Halichoeres leucoxanthus)

Setup the auto feeder to test feeding prior upcoming trip.

Remove 2 frags that have Vermits before they spread.
 
IMG_2899.jpeg

Added the Pink Streak Wrasse to the tank. Lots of chasing from the other wrasse hopefully it subsides.
IMG_2896.jpeg
IMG_2907.jpeg

ATI Labs received the water sample, hopefully get the results soon. The not so good have some string algae resembling Dino which need to put under the microscope to confirm.

This week parameters:
Alk 8.4
N03 4.9
P03 tbd Hanna tester shutdown before I was able to look at results.

Healing green slimmer frag.
IMG_2903.jpeg

Plate coral with string algae on the bottom of the plate.
IMG_2901.jpeg
 
IMG_2899.jpeg

Added the Pink Streak Wrasse to the tank. Lots of chasing from the other wrasse hopefully it subsides.
IMG_2896.jpeg
IMG_2907.jpeg

ATI Labs received the water sample, hopefully get the results soon. The not so good have some string algae resembling Dino which need to put under the microscope to confirm.

This week parameters:
Alk 8.4
N03 4.9
P03 tbd Hanna tester shutdown before I was able to look at results.

Healing green slimmer frag.
IMG_2903.jpeg

Plate coral with string algae on the bottom of the plate.
IMG_2901.jpeg
Love the plate coral!
 
I did received the ATI Labs water sample results. I suspected something but it’s good to compare against the hobby grade tester.

Salinity 36.03
Alk 8.14
Ca 559.3
Mg 1274
N03 10.72
P04 .02

Here are my results
Sg (Milwaukee)1.028
Alk (Hanna) 8.4
Ca (Salifert) 500+
Mg (Salifert) 1500
N03 (Hanna) 7.5
P04 (Hanna) .02

Per their analysis the following are critically high
Ca 559/429
Potassium 488/416

Per their analysis the following are critically low
Iodine 12/66
Zinc 0/2
Phosphorus 5/15
Phosphate .02/.05

Offsets or above normal
Silicon 452/101
Florine 1.81/1.33
 
Pulled the microscope and confirmed its Ostreopsis dinoflagellate. The good, they’re easily treated with UV. The bad, they’re toxic but I’m already running Chemipure which contains carbon to counter. Also working on root cause to up my nutrients.

Alk 8.1 need to set the doser
P04 .006 definitely need to up this value
N03 8.8

Blob/mocus strings on the back wall and rocks.
IMG_2930.jpeg
Under microscope
IMG_2946.jpeg

Stopped by the LFS and picked up an Aqua UV 25w during the Labor Day weekend sale. Plan to run it temporarily to keep things simple. Also got 5 trochus snail and a sand sifting star. Plan to get some raw shrimp cut into pieces and bury it throughout the sandbed.
IMG_2934.jpeg

IMG_2960.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Back from vacation, reef looks like a jungle. I had the auto feeder going twice a day which was a bit much. The fish all survived and some gain a bit of size. Some of the corals suffer a bit.
IMG_3135.jpeg
Parameters
Alk 8.2
P04 .04
N03 3.3

Stopped by the LFS and grab 2 fish, currently on the nano as observation/precaution. Move the turbo and urchin from the nano to help trim down the forest.

IMG_3132.jpeg
IMG_3133.jpeg
 
GHA is out of control…
IMG_3141.jpeg

Tested this morning
Alk 7.5 found doser off (keeping an eye)
N03 4
P04 .09 feeding that hair algae
Ca still 500+

Some corals are doing better than others

Expanding
IMG_3160.jpeg
A bit of growth
IMG_3161.jpeg
Encrusting
IMG_3151.jpeg
Healed tip
IMG_3162.jpeg
Fingers growing
IMG_3163.jpeg
Pale
IMG_3164.jpeg

IMG_3165.jpeg
 
Weekend update:

Parameters
Alk 8.1
P04 .13
N03 5.8

A/C malfunction for a couple of days and temperature raised significantly causing some bleaching on a few corals. Keeping things as stable as possibly to help the recovering process. Definitely need to get a fan for future issues.
IMG_3184.jpeg
IMG_3182.jpeg

The urchins have done a great job at trimming down the algae.
IMG_3213.jpeg
I was also able to catch the Gorilla crab and sump it.
IMG_3188.jpeg

Lots of upset corals…
IMG_3214.jpeg
 
Things have been pretty stable lately.
IMG_3455.jpeg
Parameters currently are:
Alk 8.5
N03 16.2
P04 47ppb (.14)
Mg 1380

Transfer the Redfin wrasse after it jump thru the screen lid of the nano. Still need to figure out how to get the Yellow chyrsus wrasse over.
IMG_3453.jpeg

Went to Aquashella in Daytona last week and got a clam, rock flower anemone, zoas, SPS.
image000000.jpeg

IMG_3456.jpeg
IMG_3405.jpeg

Measure PAR and at the highest rock/coral it sits at 295 down to 100 in the corner sand bed. Got an AI blade grow to add a bit more of PAR. Plan to mount it to the Maxspect Razor and slowly aclimate as things have been stable.
 
I was able to mount the AI blade to the Razor 150w (DIY). I will take some pics in the morning with lights on.

To do:
Test parameters
Re-measure PAR

IMG_3507.jpeg

IMG_3508.jpeg

IMG_3509.jpeg

IMG_3510.jpeg
 
Day 7 of Dr Tim Fishless cycle. Yesterday was the first day I saw a slight change on Ammonia reading.
IMG_1970.jpeg

Assembled a cabinet for electronics and dry goods. Plan to assemble the IM lid and work on initial fish stock list tomorrow.
IMG_1982.jpeg
What brand of cabinet is this, and where did you buy it?
 
Nice, I have the same tank. Comes with everything you need and is very high quality. Definitely wish reef octopus made bigger tanks!
Agree, I really wanted a 4’ tank but this was the largest they offer with the width I needed for the space I had available. Do you have a build thread?
 
Parameters currently are:
Alk 8.3
Ca 495
N03 14.3
P04 62ppb (.19) * Need to clean the sump
Mg 1395

Some pictures with the AI blade light mounted to the Razor. Need to clean the cables but looking pretty slick and has some angle. Will likely add another one later down the road to the backside as corals grow.
IMG_3519.jpeg

IMG_3520.jpeg
 
Agree, I really wanted a 4’ tank but this was the largest they offer with the width I needed for the space I had available. Do you have a build thread?
I haven’t been able to figure out how to start a build thread but I’ll take a photo when I get home in a few.
 
The other day the breaker tripped good thing I was home. It seems like the Gorilla crab chewed on the heater insulation exposing wires and causing the breaker to trip. After the close call. Things are looking better.

IMG_3554.jpeg

Alk 7.3 consumption has gone up
Ca 495
Mg 1395
P04 .17
Nitrate 14.9

Plan to move some corals out of the sand bed but things are going well.
 
Corals have been settling and coloring well. The nice thing about the build thread is looking at past pictures and seeing progress.

Alk 7.9, slowly bringing it up manually. I need to set the doser again.

Posted Aug 30
IMG_3608.jpeg

Today fully heal tip and encrusted plug
IMG_3601.jpeg

Posted Sept 27
IMG_3610.jpeg

Today colored
IMG_3603.jpeg

Posted Sept 27
IMG_3611.jpeg

Nov 17 encrusted
IMG_3529.jpeg

Need to pick a few more corals I purchased but no plan to add new ones going forward. I will just let these do their thing for the next 6 months or so. Hopefully they take off by then. Time to sit back and enjoy the tank and process.

FTS
IMG_3607.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new