Octopus Break In Period

Sirlagzalott

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm running a new Classic 152-S Protein Skimmer. I expected it needed to be broken in so just letting it overflow back into the sump. Just curious how long the break in period typically is. Days? Weeks?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly adjust it. But depending on your tank and nutrients it will certainly vary

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can certainly adjust it. But depending on your tank and nutrients it will certainly vary
This is definitely due to break in. It's wide open and in 7" of water and overflowing like a volcano. I'm not worried about it. Just curious how long these typically take to break in.

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update: Still way overflowing. FYI, from the Coralvue site: "All skimmers require a break in period before any stable formation of foam will be made or collected. This process can take up to 4 weeks especially with smaller systems

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the cup set to the highest level for the darkest skimmate?

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the cup set to the highest level for the darkest skimmate?
Yes. And I actually raised the skimmer so its even shallower than normal recommendation. Everything is running wide open. Its definitely just going through its break in period. I'm not too worried. Just wanted to post the update as an FYI.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really all over the place. One of mine took 2 days to stop going nuts. I had another one that took almost 4 weeks. A lot of it has to do with actual protein buildup and water volume and what needs to be pulled out. It may take a bit of time.

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is really all over the place. One of mine took 2 days to stop going nuts. I had another one that took almost 4 weeks. A lot of it has to do with actual protein buildup and water volume and what needs to be pulled out. It may take a bit of time.
I'm just impatient. It's like a nonstop volcano! lol. Been a while since I've used a new one. In hindsight, I probably should have rinsed in vinegar before using it. I bought an Aquamaxx HOB for my 40B tank and it was pulling gunk within a couple of days.

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a Red Sea skimmer “breaking in” now. Overflowing like crazy and turned all the way down. The last one in a mature tank took a few weeks to settle in and actually work right.

OP
OP
Sirlagzalott

Sirlagzalott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So finally got this thing dialed in, sort of. They say it should sit in 8-9” inches of water. More like 3-4”. As the tank matures, I’m guessing I may have to drop it down.

IMG_6006.jpeg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%

Back