Octospawn and Hammer not extending

marsenis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am having a few problems with my octospawn and hammer coral. I got them about a week and half ago. The hammer was extended for a while, and retracts and opens back up. The octospawn hasn’t really opened far, it’s been a bit more open than the picture though. Not sure what’s going on, my parameters seem right. Running an AI prime light with saxbys. Flow seems to be good. Fish are in Qt right now so it’s just coral only. The second video is a day ago and shows flow and hammer out.

Parameters:
Ph - 8.2
Alkalinity - 7.5
Nitrate - 7.5
Phosphate - 0.02
Calcium - 380
Magnesium - 1140

1CBCB94D-5222-46D7-8C28-79BD6E991EC3.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5573.MOV
    41.8 MB

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ****… I thought 1140 was good for some reason. I thought for sure I looked it up and it was at this range, but after looking it up again I see that it’s low…
It's a little low (calcium too), but I don't think either are deal breakers. Are you doing any supplemental feeding, ie: Reef Roids, ReefEnergy AB+, etc.?

OP
OP
M

marsenis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a little low (calcium too), but I don't think either are deal breakers. Are you doing any supplemental feeding, ie: Reef Roids, ReefEnergy AB+, etc.?
I am direct feeding reef roids around 2-3 times per week. I’ve honestly seen no improvement

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am direct feeding reef roids around 2-3 times per week. I’ve honestly seen no improvement
Reef Roids isn't one of those night-and-day things (you can see a benefit long-term though). The most important parameters are lighting and flow. Just like the three little bears, you're looking to find that happy medium. If you have access to a PAR meter I highly recommend it. Some of my euphyllia were struggling and what I thought was great lighting coverage was actually falling well short. And you may need to find the sweet spot with respect to flow that keeps them happy.

OP
OP
M

marsenis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Roids isn't one of those night-and-day things (you can see a benefit long-term though). The most important parameters are lighting and flow. Just like the three little bears, you're looking to find that happy medium. If you have access to a PAR meter I highly recommend it. Some of my euphyllia were struggling and what I thought was great lighting coverage was actually falling well short. And you may need to find the sweet spot with respect to flow that keeps them happy.
Yeah I get the reef roids thing is long term haha, but just pointing out that I am doing that. As for the lighting, I have very similar settings to those who have the same tank, and it works for them. (Not to say it still couldn’t be too low) . They are also in the middle of the tank, and previously and bottom and same effect. Flow seems to be pretty good. Running jebao sw-2 at 1 speed on pulse mode aimed towards surface. They are waving but not ripping. Really not sure. Maybe I do need to borrow a pair meter though!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I get the reef roids thing is long term haha, but just pointing out that I am doing that. As for the lighting, I have very similar settings to those who have the same tank, and it works for them. (Not to say it still couldn’t be too low) . They are also in the middle of the tank, and previously and bottom and same effect. Flow seems to be pretty good. Running jebao sw-2 at 1 speed on pulse mode aimed towards surface. They are waving but not ripping. Really not sure. Maybe I do need to borrow a pair meter though!
Based on the video flow looks fine (your torch and hammer look good). The octospawn doesn't look so hot (it's retracting), so it could be coral warfare between the two. I'd try moving the octospawn quite a bit further away and see if that helps. I don't think it's lighting, but it's impossible to say without a PAR reading. It could also be a nipping fish - but they can be hard to catch in the act (and they usually don't like euphyllia).

I had two hammers that were retracting and not doing well, and I treated with Polyp Lab Reef Primer. This is one of the few dips that will help with BJD. It saved 2/3 corals (but the one was too far gone, developed full blown BJD and had to be removed). You only need to use a fraction of the tiny bottle (the whole does is for 4 liters), so just remember to adjust the dose accordingly based on the volume water you're treating it in.

OP
OP
M

marsenis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the video flow looks fine (your torch and hammer look good). The octospawn doesn't look so hot (it's retracting), so it could be coral warfare between the two. I'd try moving the octospawn quite a bit further away and see if that helps. I don't think it's lighting, but it's impossible to say without a PAR reading. It could also be a nipping fish - but they can be hard to catch in the act (and they usually don't like euphyllia).

I had two hammers that were retracting and not doing well, and I treated with Polyp Lab Reef Primer. This is one of the few dips that will help with BJD. It saved 2/3 corals (but the one was too far gone, developed full blown BJD and had to be removed). You only need to use a fraction of the tiny bottle (the whole does is for 4 liters), so just remember to adjust the dose accordingly based on the volume water you're treating it in.
Ok. I’ll give that a go. Don’t think it’s warfare though honesty because before they were apart like 15 inches or so and octospawn was the same. I think the dip may be my best bet. Thank you for all your help I do appreciate it

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I’ll give that a go. Don’t think it’s warfare though honesty because before they were apart like 15 inches or so and octospawn was the same. I think the dip may be my best bet. Thank you for all your help I do appreciate it
It's probably not, but I had temporarily moved two hammers close together and they both got into a spat (even though there were no obvious physical signs). They both started receding, one started developing BJD and was saved with a treatment - the other (larger) one did not, developed massive BJD and had to be chucked. So I wish I could say it's a silver bullet, but I think it can be a 50-50 proposition at best. Best of luck!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back