Odd and Unusual Setups

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I’m getting ready to do my 230gallon build I’ve been browsing a lot of other build threads and how-to guides. That got me to wondering: What are some odd or unusual builds or practices that you guys have done with your tanks? Could be unusual equipment, target parameters, design features, aquascaping, DIY or anything really that was odd about a setup. Would also be cool to know if it was intentional or not and if you think it worked to the benefit or detriment of your tank! Feel free to include past or current tanks, let me know your stories and thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
MischiefReef

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I first got into saltwater, one of my first Fish only tanks was a 75 gallon tank, with a 180 gallon sump. At the time I was convinced this was the only way to do a bare bottom fish and rock only DT setup without massive fish losses. My sump had a chamber packed with LR and another with deep sand, another chamber was loaded with bio balls, and my second hand out-of-sump skimmer was run by a seperate air pump and air stone and would always overflow and flood my stand.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not look at my build thread, it is a hot mess :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I went with automation.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back