Odd Green chromis behavior

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive noticed as of a little while ago [i think a few weeks, maybe months, i forget] I noticed my Green chromis would swim up against the glass really tightly while looking pale and scared. This would happen more at night and in the mornings while my light is going on or coming off. And it likes to stay in the corner by the filter a lot.

I only have one chromis because he is the only one that survived of my original 3-4 from a year ago. So is this behavior due to only having one? I know they are natural schooling animals, so id understand if only having one was stressful. Side note: ive tried to get more chromis from the perco by my house, and they all end up dying very quickly, however i am saving up to have more ordered to my local fish store, so ill just need to know the prices.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So ive noticed as of a little while ago [i think a few weeks, maybe months, i forget] I noticed my Green chromis would swim up against the glass really tightly while looking pale and scared. This would happen more at night and in the mornings while my light is going on or coming off. And it likes to stay in the corner by the filter a lot.

I only have one chromis because he is the only one that survived of my original 3-4 from a year ago. So is this behavior due to only having one? I know they are natural schooling animals, so id understand if only having one was stressful. Side note: ive tried to get more chromis from the perco by my house, and they all end up dying very quickly, however i am saving up to have more ordered to my local fish store, so ill just need to know the prices.
Sounds like stress or scared
Is its breathing normal or rapid and is it eating?
Any blemishes on its body that you can see?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like stress or scared
Is its breathing normal or rapid and is it eating?
Any blemishes on its body that you can see?
Everything else seems normal, its usually once the light is off and everyone goes to their little area. As for blemishes i dont know what to look for, with that. I cant tell if it's breathing is fast or not though. He's not always there, when he's swimming around he seems perfectly normal although im not entirely sure.

Edit: oh i just remembered, ive seen it have darker spots on its body when it is swimming agaisnt the glass. i dont see any currently

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Everything else seems normal, its usually once the light is off and everyone goes to their little area. As for blemishes i dont know what to look for, with that. I cant tell if it's breathing is fast or not though. He's not always there, when he's swimming around he seems perfectly normal although im not entirely sure.

Edit: oh i just remembered, ive seen it have darker spots on its body when it is swimming agaisnt the glass. i dont see any currently
Yes, at lights out, they don’t head for caves like other fish will and hover along the tank rim , heater and even overflow box

Upvote 0

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had one that did that, turned out he went blind and always swam in the corner away from light, he passed a week later from starving

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back