Odd question for Disney's aquarium ???

Samgumbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my wife and I are watching a documentary about Disney's animals and aquariums so naturally I was intrigued by the aquarium portion and apparently their "tank" is 5.7 MILLION gallons. First off I'm jealous and my second thought is, how do they make that much salt water ?? Is it filtered sea water ? Or do they use Millions of bags of Instant Ocean? I tried looking online and couldn't find anything, so I'm hoping someone on here knows ! Thank you in advance ! And sorry this isn't a direct discussion about my or your aquarium, just really curious !

OP
OP
Samgumbert

Samgumbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question

“We buy one-ton bags, or what we call ‘super-sacks,’”

I was honestly joking about buying instant ocean but I wasn't wrong that's crazy. Thank you for the article !!

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe there’re using the packets from the snack bar?
3C0A9604-C186-4584-87EF-B5FA3A9F6B42.gif

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my wife and I are watching a documentary about Disney's animals and aquariums so naturally I was intrigued by the aquarium portion and apparently their "tank" is 5.7 MILLION gallons. First off I'm jealous and my second thought is, how do they make that much salt water ?? Is it filtered sea water ? Or do they use Millions of bags of Instant Ocean? I tried looking online and couldn't find anything, so I'm hoping someone on here knows ! Thank you in advance ! And sorry this isn't a direct discussion about my or your aquarium, just really curious !
I don’t know about Epcot, but Georgia and the Shedd use Instant Ocean super sacks. When I worked for the Shedd back in the 1980’s, we made up salt from its component parts. One employment “test” was if you could add an 80# bag of magnesium chloride to the mixing tank (grin)
Jay

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about Epcot, but Georgia and the Shedd use Instant Ocean super sacks. When I worked for the Shedd back in the 1980’s, we made up salt from its component parts. One employment “test” was if you could add an 80# bag of magnesium chloride to the mixing tank (grin)
Jay
How big were the mixing tanks?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big were the mixing tanks?
You know, I can’t remember! We had 500,000 gallon reservoirs in the basement that we added sodium chloride to through a hatch in the floor. But I also remember adding salt to 1200 gallon vats connected to the main system up on the mezzanine level….not sure why we didn’t add it all in the basement. I remember showing an aquarist who weighed all of 90 pounds how to shoulder the bag of salt up the side of the vat to pass her “test”.

Jay

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2358.JPG

Behind the scenes at Georgia Aquarium. they get trailers of these Super bags. ThIs is what they use in all their tanks including the Whale Sharks. I'm sure Disney does the same.
I just checked and the Disney aquarium gave up the number one spot in size to the Georgia Aquarium.

Last edited:

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I wonder how much money IO makes from commercial aquariums vs hobbyists. I assume they give massive discounts to these aquariums but still... that's a lot of salt

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure. But hey if it's good enough for them... The behind the scenes reef tank tour at Georgia is awesome too. Metal Halides and a huge wave maker.
I’m getting to go to the Georgia Aquarium for the first time, in a few months and I am incredibly excited. I never even thought about a behind the scenes tour. I’m glad you mentioned it so I can book it when I get the tickets.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2358.JPG

Behind the scenes at Georgia Aquarium. they get trailers of these Super bags. ThIs is what they use in all their tanks including the Whale Sharks. I'm sure Disney does the same.
I just checked and the Disney aquarium gave up the number one spot in size to the Georgia Aquarium.
They really ought to use tropic marin... Tsk tsk!

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting to go to the Georgia Aquarium for the first time, in a few months and I am incredibly excited. I never even thought about a behind the scenes tour. I’m glad you mentioned it so I can book it when I get the tickets.
The actual behind the scenes tour does not include the area with the salt shown in the pic.
I got to talking with the tour guide and he requested special permission after the tour to take my family further and show us around a bit more. It was very cool when he came back to us and pulled us aside for the private walk. I felt like a VIP for all of about 20 minutes. LOL

Last edited:

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The georgia Aquarium is great, I went in February. They have some pretty neat cold water species too. They've got one large tank with Metal Halides on it. Almost looks like a football stadium light suspended above, kinda nuts. It has several species of coral and most of our common reef fish. Definitely very cool to see.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching the Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom?
In one of the episodes, they mention that they have a mixing facility and show it running. Never mentioned which salt was used, but Jay has the inside-aquarium knowledge there.

If you are ever at the aquarium at Disney, you could probably ask cast members, one of them probably would know or could point you to someone who does.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back