Odd Zoa Issue

fishnoob~noclue

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2023
Messages
54
Reaction score
34
Location
England
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've had some issues recently with a certain type of zoa growing in my red sea 250.

About 6 months ago my larger zoas frags and colonies previously growing fine suddenly stopped extending their polyps and in some cases detaching. Whilst my smaller polyped zoas are growing fine.

My parameters are:

Alk 8.4
Cal 440
Mag 1500
P04 0.06
Phosphorus 21ppb
Nitrate 25
1.0265 sg

I have attached photos for reference.

I've given one weak attempt at iodine dipping to not much result.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

20260507_191544.jpg 20260507_191530.jpg 20260507_191503.jpg 20260507_191457.jpg
 
Thanks for the response, I've tried looking for them but can't see any clear evidence of any of the pests.

Do you have any tips or tricks to find and identify them?

Thanks
 
There are Asterina Stars in your tank?
Looking at night with a flash light is the ideal time to see pest out and about.
Typically I find Sea Spiders when dipping frags. Personally I like a hydrogen peroxid dilution dip.

What lighting are you using?
 
There are Asterina Stars in your tank?
Looking at night with a flash light is the ideal time to see pest out and about.
Typically I find Sea Spiders when dipping frags. Personally I like a hydrogen peroxid dilution dip.

What lighting are you using?
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've been searching for last couple of nights but I can't see any pests.

I have previously fragged the colony, is it possible they got an infection during that process?

Other than that I'm pretty stumped on why they're upset.

Thanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new