Crab picking at or water issues? Frogspawn bailing

asome_one

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says I was observing my tanks for starfish to pluck out before bed and noticed my frogspawn looking quite poor. I added this guy to the tank from a frag swap about 2 weeks ago and since it has been settling reasonably well. Open daily. I believe one of the heads is bailing out. Im unsure if this is what it normally looks like when it bails or if one of my hermits ripped it off picking at it. It is quite a large hermit and was moved to this tank from another due to it killing other hermits. This is a newer tank, up and running about 6 months - live rock seeded tank.
Params -
15G tank
Nitrate 5
Cal 440
Mag 1350
Alk 8.9
Phos 0 - It rises when I feed so it bounces from 0 to .03. Unsure if this is the more likely cause of my issues.

I have a hammer in the tank that looks fine along with some goniapora + alveopora that is extending normally. Other than that, zoas are growing, lobo seems to be okay...
The only recent change is dosing All For reef, 2.3ml daily since my alk has been trending down. I started that about 8 days ago.
I could move it to a more established tank with other euphillia that are doing well. I do have concerns that the new tank environment would just make things worse.

Should I start dipping? I have seachem reef dip and coral rx I could try but I'm not seeing pests on it.

Not really sure what to do.
1696140024167.jpeg
1696140032336.jpeg
1696140040115.jpeg
1696140048853.jpeg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read and was going to say what you figured out. Not the problem but torches, frogspawn and hammers get really happy with magnesium at or a little bit above 1400. Again not absolutely necessary. Happy reefing!

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read and was going to say what you figured out. Not the problem but torches, frogspawn and hammers get really happy with magnesium at or a little bit above 1400. Again not absolutely necessary. Happy reefing!
I agree, most lps love higher mag so if possible add some to your comfort level.

OP
OP
asome_one

asome_one

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag dosed up to 1450, will be keeping a better eye on phos. Its interesting. After dosing last night I noticed immediate algae growth on my glass today. As much as I dislike algae growing it seems I was starving my tank quite effectively.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back