Ode to The Sponge

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that the photosynthetic purple plating sponge in your photo is Collospongia auris; mine is.
I just got one of these 2 weeks ago. It has already spread onto a rock. Maybe grew another 1/3 of its size. I might have to move something if its going to grow like that big one.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I really like my newest sponge tank experiment at 2 months old.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, thanks for posting this subsea. I

Sell coral rubble as a pod condo, when pod populations are reduced bring the depleted condo back and exchange for a rejuvenated pod condo.

Haha! This is not a bad idea at all.

Feed a lot. Circulate a lot.

With respect to feeding a lot, when I feed heavy, it’s not just for the fish. I use diverse food webs to recycle nutrients thru sandbed detrivores to feed the tank live food.

http://chucksaddiction.thefishestate.net/cleanupcrew.html

After you get some background info, we can talk more.

Thanks! Great article, I am saving it in my links as well. Heck, I probably should print it out - you never know when a link will go bad.

Yeah, I ask because at some point (in the the 1 year+ future) I want to keep a nonphotosynethetic coral and sponge or two (four?), and am looking for as many experiences as possible. I tried and failed with an orange ball sponge last year - got ran over by algae (which it can take apparently) and eventually disintegrated (I presume the tank was not fully cycled and there wasn't enough DOC, etc.). Generally, the advice I've received is "heavy in and heavy out" - feed often, keep it circulating, and export the nutrients well - whether by skimming, algae reactors, refugia or other places to recycle stuff, or combinations thereof. I'm a fan of recycling the stuff, but implementation requires a lot of thought and practical experience that I didn't have when I tried my hand at my first reef a year and a half ago. (But the next one is in the planning stages. :D :D

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one of these 2 weeks ago. It has already spread onto a rock. Maybe grew another 1/3 of its size. I might have to move something if its going to grow like that big one.

I want some. Let it get big before you frag it.

@VR28man

I agree with heavy in and heavy out for a tank under 2 years for normal reefer.

I have a 20G high at two months old that I will do zero discharge of nutrients, only nutrient recycling.

Mature systems behave differrent than new tanks. For my tanks, let’s adjust heavy out to first mean, heavy recycling to grow desirable biomass, then when you need nutrient export you could frag & sell coral.

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@chris85

Come pass a visit at Bear Creek. Galveston to Austin is about 4 hours. Austin is a fun town. Stay a few days. Address and contact information are available at website. I can use help, as I am a dinosaur with video stuff.

A Cajun Aggie in Austin

Operations Mgr, AQR
Patrick Castille
One day bud.... I have to get some stuff straightened out first.

Your not the only cajun in texas!!

You guys have some awesome sponges.... I love mine but wow!!

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@chris85

“Your not the only cajun in texas!!”

I hope not. I am here for the party! These Texacan cook two things Chilli & bbq, Me & Justin Wilson gonna feed em and make em laugh.

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And he "garontees" that

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I want some. Let it get big before you frag it. We can trade whatever you like?

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that those purple sponges grow like crazy in my system. I don't do anything special for them. Love em.

I also have a lot of these branching sponges. No idea what they are or if they are even sponges. Darn sideways photo. Tilt your head to the right :)

Branching sponge.jpg

As I turned my head to the right, in the close up rock, what are all the red sprigs?

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that they are the remains of a pipe organ coral. It had been doing really well in the tank, but something knocked it over while I was out of town. When I got home, it was dead.

I tend to leave dead skeletons, shells, and the like in the tank. For some strange reason, I like the look. I'll never win TOTM :)

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
Thanks, bud Patience is definitely a virtue!! When it comes to nature....it is something that I am very passionate about and do what I can when I can to help out.

So why do we try for 0 discharge? Why can't we have a facility that produces cleaner water than when it comes in? This is something I have been working on for the last couple of years and have had promising results. Any thought on that?

My avatar is one of the local nems from here. I have found five species of nems here....never a condy!! I guess I will have to look harder.

For the pods, I use a corrugated plastic yard sign cut them into 5x5 squares, zip tie about four or five together and stash them in the rocks for a month or so.

Thanks for the videos, but I have watched all of them about ten times. You are part of the reason that I started working with macro and seagrasses. Will you be making any more videos. Maybe some how to's or tips and tricks for macro and stuff?

I collected anemone on jetties 40 yrs ago. Not positive which species then. After 40 years, predominate species come & go.
I believe that they are the remains of a pipe organ coral. It had been doing really well in the tank, but something knocked it over while I was out of town. When I got home, it was dead.

I tend to leave dead skeletons, shells, and the like in the tank. For some strange reason, I like the look. I'll never win TOTM :)

Maybe not TOTM. How about interesting husbandry acknowledgment.?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back