OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that they are the remains of a pipe organ coral. It had been doing really well in the tank, but something knocked it over while I was out of town. When I got home, it was dead.

I tend to leave dead skeletons, shells, and the like in the tank. For some strange reason, I like the look. I'll never win TOTM :)

Anthony Calfo told me to leave dead brain in the tank. I laughed when I realized he was talking about my hangover. @Dana Riddle, you also were also at that conference in Pittsburg. Anthony had a gorgeous female security contractor and a female groupie table.

Julian Sprung, Martin Moe and Anthony Calfo were on a panel discussion that I attended, all three distinguished gentlemen documented sprigs from skeleton of brain coral. @Rybren You are in good company, keeping skeletons in your tank..

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B

Yesterday, I found a Justin Wilson album and laughed most of the afternoon. He is in a small group of men that merit hero status in my book. He is a good cook and his homespun humor keeps me coming back for more. Except for his Cajun accent, you’ll could be brothers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, a thread with all my Buddies. I love it. :D
I have so many sponges in my tank that the water keeps disappearing. I have to keep squeezing the sponges to put it back. :rolleyes:

After hearing a discussion on 3D modling to make pod condominiums,

I made your pod collection method known to the universe. Use junk tires.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My newest tank at 2 months is 20G high and has been fast track as a sponge tank to be set up in high school aquatic science class later this Spring.

It has 5 peppermints than I brought in a Coral Banded Shrimp, who eats flake food. I have never had a Sally Light Foot and find them interttaining. . Pom Pom Crab is another new member for me. I continue to feed heavy so thankful.y, everybody plays nice.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, a thread with all my Buddies. I love it. :D
I have so many sponges in my tank that the water keeps disappearing. I have to keep squeezing the sponges to put it back. :rolleyes:

@Paul B
How is the titanium going? When infection risk is not so high, water therapy is the best thing since “seedless watermelon”. The VA doctors did not prescribe it for me, but they were very aggressive with physical therapy at 10 hours a week. Often during idle times, I would do yoga stretching to the amusement & encouragement to nurse aids. Physical therapy was intensive with “one on one” therapy with a coach that cared for your Wellfare & Dignity.

I salute the men & woman of the VA, “They serve those that served”.

It is with gratitude & praise that I can walk with two titanium knees. It also gets Special Privileges and attention to details from TSA.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a couple of years of increasingly dismal results using bioflocs at our farm and after trying all kinds of fixes, we came to the realization that our problems were not related to biofloc technology, but that we had a seedstock issue. In 2015, we started using a new source of Ecuadorian SPF APE (All Pathogen Exposed) seedstock, and our survival rates almost quadrupled from the low 20% to near 80%. Frankly, using the APE seedstock is the only reason we are still in business.

@Paul B
The above was quoted from a link on “Zero Dischare Aquaculture” as propsed by Tzachi Samocha who has more degrees than a thermometer. Five years ago, I meant Tzachi at Flour Bluff below Corpus Christie. where he had completed the production phase of his shrimp research. We spent 4 hours touring the facility and I was Sponge Bob as I soaked it up. There were two other PHD on the tour. My price of admission was a 5 gallon bucket of Ulva to use as seed stock. I later toured a shrimp farm of 10 acres outside of San Antoine. After inoculating & growing Pacific Shrimp larvae under controlled environmental conditions, proprietary bacteria were injected into bulk water to grow out shrimp. As I left the shrimp farm, I was given several pounds of jumbo live shrimp to go home with. For most of the two hour drive home, I was entertained to beating drums as shrimp jumped about as they were iced down.

http://www.shrimpnews.com/FreeRepor...der/USAflAmericanMaricultureCrowdFunding.html

Using shrimp exposed to all pathogens increase survival rates & productivity by 400%. That was quoted by the CEO of the most successful shrimp farm in North America.

Robin Pearl, Chief Executive Officer, received his Bachelor’s degree in Management from Florida Atlantic University. During his college days, he started a vending company that he sold and used proceeds to start OceanBoy Farms (OBF), a large shrimp farm in central Florida that’s no longer in business. After building OBF into the largest USA shrimp farm and largest organic shrimp farm in the world, he left and started several other companies, including PurigeN98, a nitrogen-tire-inflation-equipment manufacturer that he built into the USA’s largest supplier of these systems for the automotive industry. He subsequently started an energy monitoring company that combined low-cost hardware with an online management solution that allows individuals and companies to better manage and reduce their energy usage.

Video: For a five-minute of American Mariculture’s farm that shows its construction, greenhouses, equipment, labs, interiors, exteriors and on-site processing plant, Click Here.

Information: Robin Pearl, American Mariculture, Inc., 9703 Stringfellow Road, St. James City, Florida 33956, USA (phone 239-260-4720, email [email protected], webpage http://www.sunshrimp.com/index_files/contact.htm).

Source: iCrowdNewswire. American Mariculture. May 27, 2015.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using shrimp exposed to all pathogens increase survival rates & productivity by 400%. That was quoted by the CEO of the most successful shrimp farm in North America.

I need degrees like a thermometer, then maybe people will believe me. :rolleyes:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sheepskins for sale. Do you want fairenheit degrees or centigrade degrees? I also have honary degrees. I even got degrees in B...S....

:D Oh, I have honorary degrees all over the place. I even have a pole climbing diploma which I use instead of money to get on the subway. :rolleyes:
I can also drive a tank and a helicopter. I am not sure that is very useful or not but in Sci Fi movies it always comes in handy because there is normally a tank or helicopter sitting there ready to go.
Of course I may have to climb a pole to see them. :cool:

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Oh, I have honorary degrees all over the place. I even have a pole climbing diploma which I use instead of money to get on the subway. :rolleyes:
I can also drive a tank and a helicopter. I am not sure that is very useful or not but in Sci Fi movies it always comes in handy because there is normally a tank or helicopter sitting there ready to go.
Of course I may have to climb a pole to see them. :cool:

Paul,
Make sure the “super models” don’t join you until your titanium is healed.
A Cajun Aggie in Austin, Tx

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, thanks for posting this subsea. I

Haha! This is not a bad idea at all.

Thanks! Great article, I am saving it in my links as well. Heck, I probably should print it out - you never know when a link will go bad.

Yeah, I ask because at some point (in the the 1 year+ future) I want to keep a nonphotosynethetic coral and sponge or two (four?), and am looking for as many experiences as possible. I tried and failed with an orange ball sponge last year - got ran over by algae (which it can take apparently) and eventually disintegrated (I presume the tank was not fully cycled and there wasn't enough DOC, etc.). Generally, the advice I've received is "heavy in and heavy out" - feed often, keep it circulating, and export the nutrients well - whether by skimming, algae reactors, refugia or other places to recycle stuff, or combinations thereof. I'm a fan of recycling the stuff, but implementation requires a lot of thought and practical experience that I didn't have when I tried my hand at my first reef a year and a half ago. (But the next one is in the planning stages. :D :D

Musings from the Lazy Boy

What I like about algae filtration on opposite light cycle is that exudates of DOC from coral & seaweed feed each other during differrent light cycles. On BRS TV, when I saw a 25G refugium with 1750 PAR produce a pH of 9 due to photosynthesis consuming carbon dioxide faster than it can be replenished, the light came on.

Seaweed generator has 150W from Mars Hydro growlight with 4:1 ratio of red to blue. Aquaclear 110 has an acrylic box of 1G and a flow rate of 400 GPHr. This algae reactor produces DOC for corals during photosynthesis and cryptic sponges 24/7. No activated carbon necessary. Sponge biofiltration is powerful.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have helicopter stories and tank stories but I can't post them here as there is always someone who will be offended so I will relegate those stories to closed, semi drunkin, intimate parties with close friends. (who already heard them) :D

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have helicopter stories and tank stories but I can't post them here as there is always someone who will be offended so I will relegate those stories to closed, semi drunkin, intimate parties with close friends. (who already heard them) :D

When offshore, Huey was a workhorse for transportation. I coaxed one of the PHI pilots into doing an “auto rotation emergency landing”. Not for the weak at heart. With two gas turbine jet engines, Huey could carry 15 men and 5000 pounds of cargo at 120 knots and with loss of one engine, the same full load but at reduced speed. All Huey pilots must be able to land safely with loss of both engines and it was required by FFA to demonstrate competency once a year. I was the only passenger on a clean up flight and the pilot was over due on his auto rotation “emergency landing” requirement. We were flying at 2000’ when he shut the first engine off with no noticeable change in flight. When he shut off the second engine, the high-frequency scream of jet engines was replaced by the wind as the weight of the helicopter fell accelerating at 32 ft per second squared. Because the blade pitch was adjusted to rotate with the fall, the inertia of blade rotation increased as helicopter fell from 200o’, then at 500’ the pilot reversed blade pitch and slowed rate of fall to a normal landing bump.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sub, I flew in Hueys a few times a week because the places I was at in Nam never had a road. I loved those things and sometimes I would lay on the skids as we were flying (not easy and very stupid)
As for auto rotating, I did that in this LOH. But it was not a training exercise. I think we took a fifty caliper round through the transmission which is a big plastic thing between the seats. (I think. I didn't stay around to autopsy the thing after we crashed)
Because of the experience of the pilot I didn't get very hurt in the crash and also didn't get shot while running away. :eek:

I also crashed in this Schnook which brought us all our ammo, food, water and MP3 players. :rolleyes:
This one crashed into a rice paddy which are kind of cushioned. I think the leeches make it softer. :confused:

That is one of the stories I don't think I will relate on here because I can't afford that Bird :D

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The VA doctors did not prescribe it for me, but they were very aggressive with physical therapy at 10 hours a week. Often during idle times, I would do yoga stretching to the amusement & encouragement to nurse aids. Physical therapy was intensive with “one on one” therapy with a coach that cared for your Wellfare & Dignity.

Yeah, I thought about doing all that, then I said. Nah, I don't think so and went to feed my fish. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sub, I flew in Hueys a few times a week because the places I was at in Nam never had a road. I loved those things and sometimes I would lay on the skids as we were flying (not easy and very stupid)
As for auto rotating, I did that in this LOH. But it was not a training exercise. I think we took a fifty caliper round through the transmission which is a big plastic thing between the seats. (I think. I didn't stay around to autopsy the thing after we crashed)
Because of the experience of the pilot I didn't get very hurt in the crash and also didn't get shot while running away. :eek:

During Vietnam, 5000 American helicopters were destroyed out of 12,000 deployed.

@Paul B is this the one you learned to fly?

I also crashed in this Schnook which brought us all our ammo, food, water and MP3 players. :rolleyes:
This one crashed into a rice paddy which are kind of cushioned. I think the leeches make it softer. :confused:

That is one of the stories I don't think I will relate on here because I can't afford that Bird :D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back