Odyssea unit with ATI bulbs.

  • Thread starter Thread starter AdamsB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AdamsB

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
Kelowna, Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title suggests, I'm wondering if anyone has used a cheaper t5 unit like an Odyssea or fish need it and put in good quality bulbs like ATI. How would this preform compared to an ATI unit?
 
You get what you pay for... and sometimes you get less. That's my general opinion of el cheapo fixtures.
 
I did it a couple years ago with an oddysea fixture and bulbs were shot in six months. Moonlighting was burned out in 2 months. They dont even come close to an ati. Tbe reflectors and bulb cooling of ati makes a huge difference in bulb life and increased par. I wish I would have save my money and bought a used ati I would have been better off. You could do a tek fixture or an aquatic life fixture both are a bit cheaper than ati and work pretty well.
 
I did with a 4 bulb fixture. It grew sps fine but as stated above the bulbs crapped out fairly quickly. Lack of cooling and a cheap single reflector really killed the bulbs
 
ive tried two different odyssea fixtures and when I went to put ati bulbs in them. It fried the balast on one of the fixtures and on the other fixture the balast couldn't even light the ati bulb.
 
I've heard many BAD Things about those lights. My buddy out here that owns a LFS told me NEVER Buy One!! I believe he said they've been known to start fires. Obviously anything that has to do with aquariums can but its more common with those lights is what I was told.
 
I agree with the consensus given above. Like n most things in life, you get what you pay for. You would be better to save you money and buy a better quality fixture, Skimmers and lighting are the last things you want to skimp on in the hobby. Get the better stuff and you will have a much happier system.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new