OfficialReefWife's Waterbox 15 Cube

OfficialReefWife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! This is going to be the thread I regularly update with progression information for my tank! The original thread is here.

I just purchased an IceCap K1 Protein Skimmer Nano and I've gotta say... this is my last time purchasing anything expensive and tank related from Amazon. My first skimmer I received, the magnet was broken off as soon as I opened the box. Bummer, but not a big deal. My boyfriend and I got my skimmer placed in my back chamber and as soon as it turned on, the acrylic cylinder cracked up the middle. Luckily, it seemed purely cosmetic but I didn't pay $90 for a skimmer that had multiple broken parts.

I ordered another- it came yesterday. The top of the water-level adjuster was broken off but again, a minor inconvenience. This one adjusted MUCH easier but... the pump was doing nothing. So I took the pump from the first IceCap and attached it to the body of the second IceCap to FINALLY get one working IceCap skimmer. My completed skimmer is much easier to tune in and I'm super excited!

I also got the Tunze ATO and I'm thrilled to not have to refill the return chamber everyday.

I am primarily LPS focused and am trying to get my phosphates down, as they're currently .613 ppm. I am now running with a media bag full of GFO and carbon, instead of just one small bag of Chemi-pure blue.

If anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free to let me know!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! And we'd love to see some photos when you can.
minions-welcome_orig.jpg

Would you consider growing some macro algae in the tank? I did it in my 40g cube (more room than you have, I know), but it kept the nitrates and phosphates low enough that I didn't have any other algae.

OP
OP
OfficialReefWife

OfficialReefWife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, sorry I forgot about this thread. Is Member Tanks better to keep everything updated in or Nano Reefs? o_O

I'm starting to sell zoanthids to local reefers. This is really exciting because I'm used to just watching Tommy do coral sales. Now that my coral is starting to pay for itself, it's a really good feeling. My zoas grow really quickly under my lighting schedule. If anyone wants it lmk!

Fishy updates. My ywg jumped out of the tank which is really sad. However, I purchased a green mandarin the other day and it's doing really well! I've always had a natural pod population aaaand....

I have my first sponsor! AlgaeBarn is providing me with pods & phyto to boost my ecosystem. I've been working really hard on building professional relationships so I feel successful! ;Shamefullyembarrased I promise to be 100% truthful and to never push a product I do not believe in.

Parameters as of June 22, 2019:

Nitrate: 0.2 ppm
Calcium: 410 ppm
Alkalinity: 6.7 dkH
Magnesium: 1400 ppm
Phosphate: 0.049 ppm

This is 2 weeks after a water change. Since there's nothing too concerning, I'm just going to dose reef nutrition A&B, and use BRS 2 part because I need my calcium and alk slightly higher. My bubble algae has gotten STUPID bad so I'm trying Vibrant. Has anyone had any experience with it?

PICS!!

oa8skyo+QGqO8x+Rf9iqnQ.jpg C4A1A685-816C-4FED-BB35-3F1CFA748A5F.jpg WhZxZcVsT2azsNP2DYux5A.jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 10.24.31 PM.png

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how vibrant works for you. I have some bubble algae that has gotten bad as well. I’m using emerald crabs and removing what I can. Watch out, the algae can clog up drains really quickly, I nearly flooded my living room after doing some maintenance and removal. It clogged up my main drain and emergency in one foul swoop.

OP
OP
OfficialReefWife

OfficialReefWife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going on WEEK THREE with no water changes! Unheard of!

I ended up using Red Sea supplements for my calcium and alkalinity. Brightwell Aquatics came in clutch with the Magnesion and gets me right to where I need to be. Everything is exploding in growth and I have someone who has a light waiting for me! PAR PARTY!!!! ;Singing;Singing;Singing

Tommy and I are about to finish my tank stand and it's going to look soooo good! It would look even better with an Apex on it...

Talk to me and get a sticker from me on insta @ officialreefwife ;Woot;Woot
IMG_6063.JPG
Parameters as of June 29, 2019:

Nitrate: 3.5 ppm
Calcium: 450 ppm
Alkalinity: 7.8 dkH
Magnesium: 1400 ppm
Phosphate: 0.052 ppm
Salinity: 1.026

OP
OP
OfficialReefWife

OfficialReefWife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Officially stressed out and confused.

I unplugged my return pump so I could spot feed New Life Spectrum Reefcell and pour some phytoplankton in. When I turned my return pump back in, nothing! :( sadly after tries in different outlets it still isn't working. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to know! It's a Waterbox 15 Cube bought in Oct/Nov.:oops::oops:

OP
OP
OfficialReefWife

OfficialReefWife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess there must've been a buildup that finally got pushed through just now. SO glad it wasn't anything serious! Definitely a good reminder to soak everything in vinegar once in a while.

OP
OP
OfficialReefWife

OfficialReefWife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has completely exceeded my expectations of where I thought I'd be in only a year and a half. I went from a small budget Aqueon reef tank paired with a coral-killing Amazon light... to a 15 gallon Waterbox paired with an AI Hydra 26 HD.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

This past weekend I was able to get my Apex up and running after almost a week of failed trial and error! The reef gods decided to shine down on me and I became an affiliate of Waterbox Aquariums and Marine Depot! I love these brands so sharing them with you all is second nature :)

I've decided to upgrade my tank to either the Waterbox 30.2 or 40.2... if I go with the 40.2 I'll have to build a new stand which I'm dreading. However, I know there was a time when 15 gallons seemed impossible to fill. So maybe I'll go with the 40.2 because MORE ROOM! <3

I still have a ton of stickers if anyone wants one, I just request you're following me on Instagram first! @OfficialReefWife :)

Back