OG Jawbreaker questions

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Momma OG Jawbreaker since 2016. She is beautiful when she is on display. But I am having a little issue with her.

Ever since I bought my new lights(ReefBreeder Photon V2), she will not open fully. I did a long ramp in light intensity from my old BuildMyLED 20000K Reef Spectrum. But Momma just does not like the new lights and it has been 2 years. She moves around a lot all scrunched up and pops off babies all over the place(Good issue to have? HA). She still has good color, and has her red and green coloration, just will not open. I am sure it is the lights, but I have lowered the intensity and nothing is helping.

Anyone have any thoughts? I will post a picture below and circle Momma.

Also some of my Jawbreakers have white in them. Any ideas on that as well?

I have a ton of these Jawbreakers. They grow like a weed in my tank. I am probably going to sell some, but don't know a good price. I see in general a regular JB with no red/green going for ~$100, with tricolors going for much more.

Thanks for any help with any of my questions.

IMG_20220622_221534.jpg

ETA: Here is Momma with old lights and 3+ years ago.

1187881-1789d8295c5402802396c7353eadfbb5.jpg

christianscorals

Water Bender
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the way you described it, it seems it's looking for a place with more shade or less light intensity. looking at the picture, it looks like any regular mushroom that has detached or is on the move. I believe it isn't fully opening simply because its foot isn't comfortable/secured on to a base. Have you tried putting it in a mushroom cup where it can both get more shade and comfortably attach on to something?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is quite perplexing. I've had events and lost entire species only as well as sub species only while all other species of shrooms remain strong.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get smaller in higher intensity light. My mother jawbreaker was the size of a soda can but shrank down to half dollar size in higher intensity light.

I originally kept her in 35 par and when she moved to 80-100 par lighting, she decreased her size drastically but continued to produce offspring consistently.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back