Oh No... What have I done

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I made a very big mistake. I added a citron Clown Goby to my tank. I’ve had them before in a lps Softie tank and loved how he just perched on Chalice and caused no harm. I’ve recently been bulking up my Sps in tank. Had No idea he would be a constant picker. He perches and nips at polyps causing every Acro in my tank to close all polyp extension. Oh Man, this is not going to end well... I’ve tried to catch him and trap in homemade fish trap w zero luck. He knows I want him evicted. Any suggestions? Without removing every rock out my tank. So frustrating watching this and not being able to do anything about it. Ugh

U

User1

View Badges
Well....personally I'd just roll with it. They are nice, small, cute, cuddly, and look like they can just be hugged to death. Being serious for a minute that is what they do in the wild. Found around coral colonies of both lps and sps. They don't eat them but I believe there is something on them that they help remove. Film or mucous or something - may need to search specifically but I know they are not eating it. So yes, when they perch/sit on the coral it will agitate them a bit but nothing major.

At least that is what I remember of them. Others may be able to help you more or give you a better solution other than mine which is to just roll with it.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I think I made a very big mistake. I added a citron Clown Goby to my tank. I’ve had them before in a lps Softie tank and loved how he just perched on Chalice and caused no harm. I’ve recently been bulking up my Sps in tank. Had No idea he would be a constant picker. He perches and nips at polyps causing every Acro in my tank to close all polyp extension. Oh Man, this is not going to end well... I’ve tried to catch him and trap in homemade fish trap w zero luck. He knows I want him evicted. Any suggestions? Without removing every rock out my tank. So frustrating watching this and not being able to do anything about it. Ugh
You could keep him really well fed so he does not pick as much. Did you try a bottle trap? You could also try a mirror but don't know if mirrors work with gobies.

OP
OP
Michael Naegeli

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could keep him really well fed so he does not pick as much. Did you try a bottle trap? You could also try a mirror but don't know if mirrors work with gobies.
I am using a bottle trap. Small water bottle though. I threw some pellets and brine shrimp in there. He often perches on top of the bottle but no entry. I used small bottle w small opening so I wouldn’t inadvertently catch one of the larger fish. I don’t think he gonna go for my truck. He is super sketched out from me trying to bet him

OP
OP
Michael Naegeli

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to rip my tank apart to get him out. I watched him munch on a Homewrecker polyp this morning. He visits all my acros. I am soooo frustrated at myself. What a stupid addition.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the wild they are beneficial to the coral as they help keep algae at bay and can fight off corallivores. The one difference between the wild and our tanks is a colony in the wild is a couple of feet wide rather than a couple of inches.
So don't feel bad, not everyone causes these problems but it could happen to the best of us.

OP
OP
Michael Naegeli

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha.... I Finally caught that little devil!! So so excited. I had literally tore every Acro out of my tank and put on Frag plugs and down to refugium on racks. I am so happy to put them all back, they have been thru hell. I put clown goby in Frag tank til rebooked him. What a nightmare. I can’t believe I was so ignorant. Thank you God

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel bad.
[emoji4]
They are listed as reef safe in most sites.
[emoji53]
As you know, they are fairly LPS and softie safe.
[emoji4]
Not so much with SPS.
[emoji53]

OP
OP
Michael Naegeli

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel bad.
[emoji4]
They are listed as reef safe in most sites.
[emoji53]
As you know, they are fairly LPS and softie safe.
[emoji4]
Not so much with SPS.
[emoji53]
Yes they have never harmed anything before when I had them in Lps tank. Just a lot of looking cute and perching on chalices. No harm. Didn’t even think about them harming Sps. Thus, Zero research, in the end I learned another valuable lesson. Haha. Just glad I noticed him mowing down my polyps sooner than later. I am a lil disappointed my lfs sold him to me along w a few Sps frags. My normal lfs woulda for sure called me out quickly. Oh well not too much damage

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back