Oil paint

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I didn’t royally screw up.
I just bought a brand new 120 and had a can of black paint from painting an exterior door this summer. I just applied a coat on the back and bottom and looked an the can and saw it’s an oil based enamel. What have I got myself into? I hope I didn’t just ruin this thing

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll be fine. Let it dry. If it was an issue all the folks with oil based paint on the walls behind their tanks would have glass boxes full of dead stuff.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I know this is super obvious...don't put anything in the tank until that paint dries (leak test) as it'll mess up the enamel cure. You can heat (gently) and add fans to speed up drying time. Be aware that once dry all enamel paints will need to cure to harden to full potential. That can take from a couple weeks to a couple months depending on environment. You don't have to wait that long to use it...it's fine once dry. But just be careful in touching the paint with anything that can scratch it until it's fully cured.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have painted many aquarium backs. I have only used a solvent based spray paint, or rolled on oil based enamel paint. I highly prefer the oil based enamel. I know acrylic based paints can work as well, I don’t think latex is as good of a bond to glass as oil or acrylic.
These days I prefer vinyl films.

long story short. You will be fine and accidentally probably used the best paint you could for the application.

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Just in case anyone finds this thread in the future I wanted to update this with my conclusion.
Ive painted tanks before with latex, and it was super easy. 2-3 coats and call it a day. I started this thread after I applied my first coat, noticed it looked like crap and read the can as being oil based enamel. I had thoughts of the BP oil spill running through my head, along with the thought of the paint not sticking and looking terrible. Neither was a good thought considering I had the tank less than 24 hours.
Well it took 7 coats, I probably could have gotten away with 5-6, but I went with a couple more for good measure. It turned out awesome. I am very happy with it and although it took longer I’m glad I made this “mistake”

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back