Ok I need you guys the most now lol

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any examples that you have of a T5 lighting set up
40B and 65g with the same JBJ Trinity 4x39W ATI B+,C+,B+,True Actinic. The 65g I only have the 2x B+ on.
The 20g that I have been showing you this whole time has 2x25W ATI B+ & C+

IMG_20170421_105748.jpg

IMG_20170716_162126.jpg

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a DIY led system forget a dual t5 system that fits the space when light is removed
Best bet is screen top

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran both simultaneously, which is probably why I didn' need a powerhead. Had a heater and that's it!

My lights were the old style ones. Forgot the wattage but they were 2 incandescent light bulbs, 40watts each maybe. The kind that were found on all freshwater tank kits 20 years ago. I believe I upgraded the hood at the time to get the 2 bulbs version, i think the original kit had 1 bulb, no leds back then.

OP
OP
johnny4491

johnny4491

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that came with tge tank and I purchased another one that was just like the stock one. Don' remember the brand name but it was the same or very similar inexpensive brand and model that came with the tank.

Oh ok thanks there is a lot of ideas in my head we’ll see what I end up doing

RobertN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy a glass top and put a SolarMax Deep Blue HO T5 w/ ATI Blue Plus Coral plus. Those LED lights will rust in hood and poop the bed on you in about 6 months. At least with the T5s you are putting the best bulbs on the market on one of cheapest fixtures. So great light quality on a $120 fixture w/ 2x $20 bulbs. Most LEDs are going to cost you a little bit more for that good quality I believe and that money saved will get you a quality protein skimmer,

Are you familiar with the Sun Blaster T5 fixtures?....they're also a very cheap type of fixture. Just wondering if they're similar in "quality" to the SolarMax. I need something that is 24" and preferably dual lamps (I have a canopy that has a little more than 24" depth and I wanted to put a dual T5 fixture along each side of the two Ocean Revive LED fixtures that are running along the middle of the canopy). The SolarMax that I just searched for on Google that were 24" didn't say they were HO, which I figured I should be getting in order to get enough power out of the bulbs.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lightou familiar with the Sun Blaster T5 fixtures?....they're also a very cheap type of fixture. Just wondering if they're similar in "quality" to the SolarMax. I need something that is 24" and preferably dual lamps (I have a canopy that has a little more than 24" depth and I wanted to put a dual T5 fixture along each side of the two Ocean Revive LED fixtures that are running along the middle of the canopy). The SolarMax that I just searched for on Google that were 24" didn't say they were HO, which I figured I should be getting in order to get enough power out of the bulbs.
SolarMax HO 24" Double T5 Lunar Aquarium Strip Light(copy paste in EBay search bar)
Just seen that on EBay for $89.97
It looks like the same one I have. The 224 model.

adb42324.png

Not sure what they mean by "strip light"

Last edited:

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you familiar with the Sun Blaster T5 fixtures?....they're also a very cheap type of fixture. Just wondering if they're similar in "quality" to the SolarMax. I need something that is 24" and preferably dual lamps (I have a canopy that has a little more than 24" depth and I wanted to put a dual T5 fixture along each side of the two Ocean Revive LED fixtures that are running along the middle of the canopy). The SolarMax that I just searched for on Google that were 24" didn't say they were HO, which I figured I should be getting in order to get enough power out of the bulbs.
If you are looking for a 4 bulb. I would just get this for $160ish. I have the 36". I love how the lights flip up, there is only one downside to them. The legs over lap the frame on the inside. So if you have a glass top like me. You have to make a modification to it. You would need 2 blocks of wood for each side. Black paint. Wood glue. A out 6 nails. 4 screws. Sand paper.
JBJ: Trinity Aquarium Lighting Fixture 24 Inch 24w T5 HO High Output.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SolarMax HO 24" Double T5 Lunar Aquarium Strip Light(copy paste in EBay search bar)
Just seen that on EBay for $89.97
It looks like the same one I have. The 224 model.

adb42324.png

Not sure what they mean by "strip light"
Strip light just means it doesn’t cover the whole tank from front to back. It’s only about 6” across and this one is 24” long.

Used to be the tank came with a piece of glass that covered the top and a hinge down the middle. The strip would cover about half the top.

OP
OP
johnny4491

johnny4491

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question guys I’m looking for a hang on skimmer for my tank what’s something affordable

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question guys I’m looking for a hang on skimmer for my tank what’s something affordable
Reef Octopus BH 1000 or 2000 HOB. Those 2 models have a needle wheel which is the most important part. I have the BH 1000 on my 65g. It was originally for my 20g and it worked for my 40B and the 65g after the 40B cracked.
Key reasons to this system being if not the best HOB, is the motor is out of the tank and out of the water inside the dwell time area. So your water temp is not changing from the motor conducting heat. Also when you go to clean the system. You just have to clean the impeller and holding area for the impeller. Not the whole motor covered with algae and gross nutrients that is swishing around in the dwell area.

OP
OP
johnny4491

johnny4491

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Octopus BH 1000 or 2000 HOB. Those 2 models have a needle wheel which is the most important part. I have the BH 1000 on my 65g. It was originally for my 20g and it worked for my 40B and the 65g after the 40B cracked.
Key factor to this system being if not the best HOB is the motor is out of the tank and out of the water inside the dwell time area. So your water temp is not changing from the motor conducting heat. Also when you go to clean the system. You just have to clean the impeller and holding area for the impeller. Not the whole motor covered with algae and gross nutrients that is swishing around in the dwell area.

Thank you never thought of that I’m going to keep looking

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you never thought of that I’m going to keep looking
Figures I deleted the pic with the specs for the systems. The only real difference between the 1000 & 2000 is motor size and width to wall and maybe height. Which will give the water more of a dwell time area of an inch or 2.
Make sure you measure to the wall. Otherwise you will have to move your tank out.

OP
OP
johnny4491

johnny4491

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figures I deleted the pic with the specs for the systems. The only real difference between the 1000 & 2000 is motor size and width to wall and maybe height. Which will give the water more of a dwell time area of an inch or 2.
Make sure you measure to the wall. Otherwise you will have to move your tank out.

I only have a 20 gal wont these be to big for it

OP
OP
johnny4491

johnny4491

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys quick question is there anything wrong with buying a used skimmer some guy is selling a remora aquaC for 60 bucks

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys quick question is there anything wrong with buying a used skimmer some guy is selling a remora aquaC for 60 bucks
Well man you really need to use the advice that people give you. Not the price. You have been doing this the whole time. I will leave you with the key factor to a protein skimmer again. THE NEEDLE WHEEL. Otherwise the bubbles will not be fine enough to scrub the water as affectively. The MaxiJet does not have a needle wheel you can install in it or buy anywhere. You can do a modification with it by using fishing line and glueing that down over the paddle wheel. If the line breaks and gets caught up. I would say the motor would burn out if you are not there to catch it. Maybe even flood the room. MaxiJet 1200 is a great pump. How long it has been used for makes the difference and the amount of cleaning that was done to it. Was it every 3 months the most they waited to clean it or never. That is all part of buying used equipment. For a protein skimmer with no needle wheel brand new. I wouldn't give more than $25.

OP
OP
johnny4491

johnny4491

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well man you really need to use the advice that people give you. Not the price. You have been doing this the whole time. I will leave you with the key factor to a protein skimmer again. THE NEEDLE WHEEL. Otherwise the bubbles will not be fine enough to scrub the water as affectively. The MaxiJet does not have a needle wheel you can install in it or buy anywhere. You can do a modification with it by using fishing line and glueing that down over the paddle wheel. If the line breaks and gets caught up. I would say the motor would burn out if you are not there to catch it. Maybe even flood the room. MaxiJet 1200 is a great pump. How long it has been used for makes the difference and the amount of cleaning that was done to it. Was it every 3 months the most they waited to clean it or never. That is all part of buying used equipment. For a protein skimmer with no needle wheel brand new. I wouldn't give more than $25.

Ok thank you I might end up going with the Magus QQ1 , I read some good reviews on that

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back