Ok, so I picked a skimmer. Looking for input

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I want an SWC 200 Xtreme. I have a 120g with 40g sump with an estimated 110-120g circulating volume. I want a well built skimmer that can handle a heavy bioload. My current sump's skimmer section has a minimum dimension of 8.5", but I am considering removing a bubble trap wall to make it 10.5" x 17". I have 2 sections after the bubble rock that has chaeto in one and LR in the other before the return. Any input on the skimmer would be good. I would definitely do the mesh mod.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would work well for that tank size, but no you do not want the meshmod : ) If you want an upgrade you can get the white lightning pw which pulls more than a stock meshmod but with no startup issues. You also need to run it in 10" water level to really get the best performance out of it.

OP
OP
GPhiAce

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would work well for that tank size, but no you do not want the meshmod : ) If you want an upgrade you can get the white lightning pw which pulls more than a stock meshmod but with no startup issues. You also need to run it in 10" water level to really get the best performance out of it.

Do you work for reeffiltration??? definitely interested. Can you Pm me a price and the difference between the 2 pumps and the sch of the pump you mentioned???? Thanks. Thanks for the input. As of right now, it looks like 8.5" depth is the best I got unless I do other sump mods-- which is likely. :) Thanks.

OP
OP
GPhiAce

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I found a reasonable deal on an Octopus extreme 200 with a Sicce PSK 2500 at my LFS. I can get 9.5" depth in my skimmer section. And the section is 17" x 10.5" after I remove one of my bubble trap walls. The last section is full of LR and the return is near the bottom, so I hope there won't be alot of microbubbles. I picked this skimmer because it seems to be basically the same as the SWC 200 Xtreme, good price, and the pw change should bring 40+ scfh for <40w. No only if I could find that white lightning pw.

Hopefully will be ordering it tomorrow from reeffiltration. Look forward to my new skimmer.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back