Ok what do I do? Clownfish might mate

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so about a month ago I got 2 sa Picasso clowns from the critter . I just got a random 2 but here recently they are showing the beginning signs of from what I can on think is mating. The paired up almost immediately. If they lay eggs and the male fertilizes them I have another tanks that I can readily convert to a nursery. I've been watching them closely I just don't want to be caught by suprise if the do....make little ones. Any tips ?

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest that you do some reading about raising live food for clownfish babies first. It's a big committment. You need to raise rotifers and hatch baby brine fish daily for awhile. You also need to do frequent water changes for the rearing tank. Newly hatched clownfish babies do not take prepared food easily at all. You may be able to coax them to take the food called Otohime A in a week or so, but you need to feed the babies with live food until then. It's fun to raise babies and worth doing it at least once. It was a lot of fun for me :). If you are willing to dedicate your time and effort, please send me an email so that I can send you my clownfish breeding journal, which happens to be on the site that cannot be named here.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so about a month ago I got 2 sa Picasso clowns from the critter . I just got a random 2 but here recently they are showing the beginning signs of from what I can on think is mating. The paired up almost immediately. If they lay eggs and the male fertilizes them I have another tanks that I can readily convert to a nursery. I've been watching them closely I just don't want to be caught by surprise if the do....make little ones. Any tips ?
The first batch of eggs they usually eat them before you can get them out, At least IME that's what happened when i saw them i called Matt @ S.A. and asked about rearing them and by the time i got off the Phone they had eaten all the eggs! After the first time they must have hid them better as i never saw any more, Then i sold that tank and they went with it.

mrcoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine lay every couple of months I have never had the time or energy to attempt to harvest them and collect them. they used to lay on a foundational base rock as if they new that I would never mess with that rock.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back