old fish food

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you think there is any risk in feeding frozen food I prepared about 1 year ago that I forgot in the freezer? the food is vacuum packaged and still intact.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Define "risk". I don't think they'll get food poisoning if that's what you're thinking. And it also depends on how "bad" the food has gotten (has it gotten significantly darker since packaging?).

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your freezer was working the whole time, it's fine. Food can be frozen indefinitely without concerns of it going bad. Food that has been frozen for years may have it texture impacted though. Freezer burn would be the only issue, but if its vacuum packed it should be a problem.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your freezer was working the whole time, it's fine. Food can be frozen indefinitely without concerns of it going bad. Food that has been frozen for years may have it texture impacted though. Freezer burn would be the only issue, but if its vacuum packed it should be a problem.
Ehh....not necessarily. These are some good writeups from when FusedJaw was still active about quality mysis shrimp. While I'm lucky that I don't have to be as obsessive about food quality as seahorse keepers have to be, it's still important to know that you can't just pull out a chunk of frozen mysis after 10 years and think it's the same quality as freshly frozen mysis.

Attachments

• Frozen Mysis Part 1 The Quest for Quality Food (1).pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 25
  • Frozen Mysis Part 2 The Science Behind the Food.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 44

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can't just pull out a chunk of frozen mysis after 10 years and think it's the same quality as freshly frozen mysis.
I didn't say that was the case. The question to me seemed like it was a food safety concern. And from a food saefty standpoint, frozen food doesn't spoil or "go bad". Article from the USDA has good high level info on frozen foods and impacts to "quality"

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back