Old Glory's Reefer 525 XL

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I finally ordered my 525 XL. I am downsizing from a 180 reef that I broke down because we are renovating our family room. I have been putting together equipment while the painting and renovations are done.

Here is what I have so far:
Rock curing in barrels - Pukani 65 lbs; Fiji 25lbs; Tonga shelf; Marco 20 lb. I have some cool pieces that I hope to scape into something that looks natural in the tank.I added some Biospira so hopefully the rock will have some good bacteria and be ready to go when I get the tank.
Sand - Tropic Eden Mesoflakes (aragonite crumbs, 2.7mm) 120 lbs
Skimmer - Reef Octopus ELITE 200SSS Space Saver with VarioS DC Pump
Power Heads - 2 VorTech MP40wQD QuietDrive
Return Pump - Vectra M1 DC (2000 GPH) DC pump
Ecotech Reeflink Controller
Heaters - 2 Finnex 500w titanium heaters
Lights - 4 Kessil A360W Tuna Blue with controller
ATO- Neptune ATK
Trigger Systems Sapphire ATO 10 Gallon Reservoir
Doser - TBD
Controller - Most likely will get a Neptune Apex

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I finally ordered my 525 XL. I am downsizing from a 180 reef that I broke down because we are renovating our family room. I have been putting together equipment while the painting and renovations are done.

Here is what I have so far:
Rock curing in barrels - Pukani 65 lbs; Fiji 25lbs; Tonga shelf; Marco 20 lb. I have some cool pieces that I hope to scape into something that looks natural in the tank.I added some Biospira so hopefully the rock will have some good bacteria and be ready to go when I get the tank.
Sand - Tropic Eden Mesoflakes (aragonite crumbs, 2.7mm) 120 lbs
Skimmer - Reef Octopus ELITE 200SSS Space Saver with VarioS DC Pump
Power Heads - 2 VorTech MP40wQD QuietDrive
Return Pump - Vectra M1 DC (2000 GPH) DC pump
Ecotech Reeflink Controller
Heaters - 2 Finnex 500w titanium heaters
Lights - 4 Kessil A360W Tuna Blue with controller
ATO- Neptune ATK
Trigger Systems Sapphire ATO 10 Gallon Reservoir
Doser - TBD
Controller - Most likely will get a Neptune Apex

Sounds like a great start with an awesome tank! Are you just moving over old livestock, or is this a whole new project? Any centerpieces or major plans for this tank? Whats the plan for nutrient management? I like my M1 for a return, but if you want to run a manifold and run other reactors off of it, it might be a better idea to step up to a L1. :D

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start :)

Doser: I just picked up a CoralBox doser... wifi enabled, controlled by an Android or Iphone app, compact... so far so good. I've got it calibrated, easy, and seems to be quite consistent. Price was well below that of it's competitors.

OP
OP
Old Glory

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great start with an awesome tank! Are you just moving over old livestock, or is this a whole new project? Any centerpieces or major plans for this tank? Whats the plan for nutrient management? I like my M1 for a return, but if you want to run a manifold and run other reactors off of it, it might be a better idea to step up to a L1. :D

Hi it is a whole new project. Planning a mixed reef. I generally like the movement you get with LPS. Would love to get a rainbow Bubble Tip and some cool hammers.

OP
OP
Old Glory

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start :)

Doser: I just picked up a CoralBox doser... wifi enabled, controlled by an Android or Iphone app, compact... so far so good. I've got it calibrated, easy, and seems to be quite consistent. Price was well below that of it's competitors.

I ended up going with a Neptune doser to work with the Apex controller.

OP
OP
Old Glory

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8936.JPG
Tank came yesterday. Set up the stand and got some water going.

OP
OP
Old Glory

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8943.JPG
Starting to put sump together. Will be using the ATO tank for a fuge and will pack it with Pond Matrix. I will eventually add some Marine Purs Spheres but will cure them to get rid of any aluminum. BRS GFO and carbon reactor running off its own pump for now. Eventually will build a manifold to run Reactor and fuge.

OP
OP
Old Glory

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8940.JPG
Putting Apex together. Controls for Vortechs and Vectra. Need to clean up the wiring and mount the doser. Using a Trigger Systems reservoir directly plumbed to my RODI filter to feed the auto top off. Salt wil be mixed in the basement and pumped up to the tank.

OP
OP
Old Glory

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water has cleared up nicely. I added a hippo and a six line that was from another tank. They are hiding right now. Ammonia tested out at zero.

IMG_8958.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great man! Nice job!

OP
OP
Old Glory

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Letting things settle in then will start stocking the tank.

OP
OP
Old Glory

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been dosing MB7 and Seachem Stability since I have had my rocks in a barrel to establish a bioculture. I also used Dr. Tim's when I started the tank itself.

My plan to get the tank through the break in period is to dose carbon and bacteria. Currently I am dosing (roughly 120 gallons of water volume):
MB7 1 capful a week
NoPox Daily 8 ml
Biodigest every 15 days
Vibrant Every two weeks
I also use GFO and Activated Carbon in a BRS two canister reactor

Was planning to do this for the first six months watching the tank and backing off when necessary.

I am getting a bit of a bacteria bloom some film on the glass and a touch cloudy.

My numbers are:
Alk 8.4
Calcium 450
PH 7.79
Phos .04
Nitrate 4+

Comments?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comments?
Old Glory,

Tank is looking great.

Parameters are stop on!!! (ph could be a little higher but would not use buffer, for it)
What does your mag read and where do you like your mag at?

If you like your cal and alk where their at and like your mag to be at about 14oo.
Then, You'll love the Fritz RPM mix.

Also the Red Sea "Reef Energy" is good stuff. :)

Regards, GoVols

OP
OP
Old Glory

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Vols thanks! I am still figuring out here my numbers will end up. I haven't tested Mag yet will do that this weekend.
My current numbers are:
Alk 9.7
Calcium 490
PH 7.78
Phos .04
Nitrate 0

Will check out Reef Energy. How often do you dose that? I currently use HW-Marinemix Reefer Salt Mix...BRS recommended. I like it because its clean. No barrel scum.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 134 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back