Old School Reefer comparison of Jaubert Plenum & Reverse Flow UG

  • Thread starter Thread starter Subsea
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Subsea

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 21, 2018
Messages
9,582
Reaction score
12,432
Location
Austin, Tx
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there - intrigued by use of reverse flow UG filter - can you please give me details on how you have your system set up? Much appreciated !”

@drbrivers
Thank you for your request. Ask all the questions that you want.
Coincidently, I received a reminder today to update my build thread. It’s best we don’t hijack someone else’s thread.

The 75G display & 30G mud/algae refugium is more than 25 years mature. I bought it used with miracle mud. Display was set up with 6” DSB & Jaubert plenum for 20 years. During that time detritus in mud filter increased in depth by 3/4” and felt spongy to the touch.

Five years ago, I emulated @Paul B and upgraded to reverse flow ug filter and 2” substrate.
Click to expand...
Patrick, now that it's been a few years using the reverse flow UG compared to the DSB & Jaubert plenum; do you have any comments comparing the 2 methods?

@vlangel

Dawn,
In general, they both work well.

The Jaubert plenum end goal was to reduce nitrate and it did that well using bacteria and reduction chemistry in low oxygen enviroment. However, with a 25 year mature system, the coral is the biofilter and I now dose ammonia every day. and still have zero nitrate.
 
Things I like about reverse flow is that sand-bed stays aireated supporting diversity of micro fauna & fana as well as large varied bacteria populations in addition to nitrification bacteria.

Because I keep varied filter feeders like flame scallops & sea apples, I focus on the microbial loop.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 91
While I can not prove it, the void under the plenum substrate is a perfect cryptic refugium. However, @Paul B has a system with pictures in the plenum that he moved after 50 years set up.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new