Old tank sand

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to transfer to a new bigger tank, it’s all currently work in progress, I’m getting new live sand for the bigger tank but my question is as I’m planning to have a fuge in my sump could I rinse the and I currently have (tank is about 4 months old and the sand is pristine) and use that safely in the fuge area? Or would you not bother

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reuse sand. Aragonite cost $1-$2 per pound. I have too many aquariums not to reuse mature live sand to seed other systems.

What is the source of your live sand? Does live include more than bacteria? Why don’t you cycle with dry sand and use some of your existing sand to inoculate your new system. Once your new tank has completed nitrification cycle, transfer all your sand & live rock. Keep corals &;fish in 5G bucket until next day, then transfer them the following day.

What type of corals are going in the new system?

What are your goals for the refugium? A refugium does not need light, it is a refuge from predators. Consider adding live rock or rubble and cultivate pods in the dark.

More importantly, cryptic refugiums grow cryptic sponges.

PS: Lights just came on 75G display that is 25 year mature. To view flame scallop, I rotated a live rock 10 years in tank. NOTE the blue sponge just below orange elephant ear sponge and slightly left.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back